Zigbee temperature & humidity sensor

@rwclements228, I posted up a screenshot of my event log page showing a time frame where I know the shower was running (approximately 17:20 - 17:40). The humidity rises and drops 1% through out the whole time shown above.
It's not me I'm worried about, the kids never remember to turn on the fan.
I basically have the sensor mounted in the shower.

Hal3Owner

2h

I find that I sometimes have to pair Sonoff ZigBee devices close to the hub - four feet away-ish. Then I move them where I want them and they continue to work. It goes against Zigbee principles but it works for me.

Also, have received some devices with weak batteries so check that as well.

Yeah tried pairing at multiple distances away from the hub, including trying to pair with the sensor 6" away. I tried different channels too.

@steve.maddigan , I'm hoping I can return the Sonoff sensors to the ebay seller and then check out the Konke or Aqara sensors.

1 Like

Both of these come with caveats:

1. Konke - work with any zigbee repeater, very stable on Hubitat. Report regularly. However, they only work on zigbee channels 15, 20, and 25.
  2. Aqara - work stably only if ALL zigbee routers on the network are Aqara-compatible. Reporting can be sporadic. Not very stable on Hubitat.

Your Sonoffs clearly do not work.

I just opened one I ordered a while back. It was manufactured by eWeLink. It paired instantly from a room away from the hub.

So, you may just have some defective units. I will keep buying them because they are so inexpensive.

You might have better luck with a different supplier?

2 Likes

This is very true. It was not a good experience until I unplugged my three ST plugs.

The Sonoff S31 Lite plugs seem to play very nicely with them.

I’ve never heard of Konke. Google time.

I do have four Sonoff S31 plugs around the house primarily for their repeater properties.

SONOFF S31 Lite Zigbee Smart Plug US Type, Works with SmartThings and Amazon Echo Plus, Hub Needed for Amazon Alexa(2-Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GKK89QQ/

1 Like

Or search this forum :grinning:

FWIW, I have ~12 of them now; 8 of which have been in operation for 2 years without issues (outside of one battery change).

1 Like

@aaiyar Thanks for the info. I’ll see how it goes with my Aqara first once I distribute them. I also have one Aqara motion in use and a second still in the box. Too many outside projects have reduced inside play time!!

@Hal3 i just counted and I have 12 of the S31 Lite’s plus another 5-6 of the Sonoff basiczbr3 inline switches. Overall I am happy with the in-line switches as well but I have found on a couple of them that they keep dropping off after a period of time and seem to go south quickly after that. I just replace one that has been in use for over a year after it dropped three times in a week.

2 Likes

I wouldn't use a Sonoff parachute but Sonoff is so much cheaper I don't mind buying a dozen on AliExpress replacing the occasional flake.

@Hal3
Mine were made by the same company. I just got a full refund from Ebay so I guess I should weigh the Aqara/Konke pros and cons listed by aaiyar.

Hahaha. No I wouldn’t either.

This is a good post listing other products that do and do not play nicely with Aqara.

@Skin_Job, thank you for looking at my Environment Sensor. If you ever need one, I will be happy to help you anyway I can.

Just FYI, when you get a proper humidity sensor regardless the brand, they are probably more sensitive than what you have today. I notice that you are placing the sensor right inside the shower. If you happen to have a bit of water in the shower because your have to rinse or wash something small, potentially, it may bump the humidity reading. This may or may not what you want to trigger your automation.

I used mine on my bathroom as well. I have my sensor tucked on one of the available outlet powered with an old phone charger. The sensor can detect significant humidity changes during shower. At the same time, small amount of water in my shower would not trigger my fan.

In any case, thanks again for getting back. I am sure with the help from folks here you will find something that suitable for your need.

1 Like

Agreed. I must be running a lucky streak. All of my Sonoff devices shipped with full batteries, paired easily (I do so within 10 feet of hub), and operate as expected. I did a "hygrometer salt test" to confirm the accuracy and was delighted to find the SNZB-02 to be with a percent or so.

Our sensor is just laying on top of a cabinet that is between the shower and the fan. When the shower is running, readings typically jump from about 40% to 90%. Again, those readings may be 5 minutes apart.

2 Likes

Xiaomi / Aqara are working for me as well.

Patio temperature / humidity under the umbrella:

1 Like

Hatallica

1h

Agreed. I must be running a lucky streak. All of my Sonoff devices shipped with full batteries, paired easily (I do so within 10 feet of hub), and operate as expected. I did a "hygrometer salt test" to confirm the accuracy and was delighted to find the SNZB-02 to be with a percent or so.

Our sensor is just laying on top of a cabinet that is between the shower and the fan. When the shower is running, readings typically jump from about 40% to 90%. Again, those readings may be 5 minutes apart.

So I went back and had another look at the 1 sensor that would pair and it was dropping all over the place. The hub is approximately 10' away and separated by 1 wall, with a mirror on it, so don't know if that is "normal" or not. I'm still extremely new to smart home devices and new to zigbee/zwave in particular. I re-paired the sensor with my hub and moved it to the other bathroom. I opened the window for 15 min and then closed it to test the unit, with good results being reported. Maybe it will do better in this other location?

@iharyadi, I planned on using 3 sensors for my setup. 2 in the bathrooms (1 in each) and 1 reference sensor in the master bedroom. If the Sonoff sensors had worked I would have waited for a week's worth of data to establish a baseline and then figured out what the delta value between each bathroom and the reference sensor should be set to kick on the fan. Then shut the fan off after the humidity difference falls below a certain value.

@Hal3 , I didn't notice the sensor at first glance. It fits almost perfectly on the crank.

Thanks for all of the recommendations and info y'all.

Are Tuya and Xiaomi / Aqara all made by the same company? The Tuya zigbee sensor looks exactly like the Xiaomi / Aqara unit Hal3 posted.

Looks like the sensor pictured is manufactured by a company called LUMI.

It is my understanding that the Xiaomi/Aqara devices are non-standard Zigbee.

Tuya has recently joined the Zigbee Alliance (now the Connectivity Standards Alliance). Thus, some Tuya devices are fully Zigbee compliant. However, many manufacturers produce products based on Tuya technology. If the devices are Zigbee 3.0 compatible, they should work with Hubitat if a suitable driver can be found.

I have a Sole vibration sensor based on Tuya technology. The only way I got it to work was by using a community driver designed for the Konke motion sensor. Hopefully, you can find a driver to work with your device.

Most Aqara devices generally will work with Hubitat as long as ALL of the Zigbee repeaters in your system are compatible with Aqara. I had to replace my Smartthings and Centralite plugs with eWelink Zigbee 3.0 plugs before I could get my Aqara devices to work.

1 Like