Zigbee Storm

Interestingly, a "new" to me feature has appeared in Zigbee Details.

The rightmost column is "messages" -- and its sortable: @gopher.ny is this really new? Or have I just been blind for the last 10 versions or so???

The two uppermost are the Tuya devices. I just modified the driver to suppress some messages, not sure if it worked or not yet.

S.

1 Like

I've used that column (when sorted, ascending) to find devices that have never checked in (0 messages). It's a quick way of finding devices that may have fallen off.

1 Like

Thats not that many messages... i dont see those as causing your storm

Heres mine been up about 2 hours and just finished a firmware updaye to hall motion

It is indeed, i found that really useful too.

S

Holy Moly Larry, is that motion sensor in a bowling alley? My system has now been up about 15 hours, and my "chatty" is "only" at 958 messages...which interestingly is 3 times its closet competitor (a twin no less) in the same stairwell.

This data seems useful, but Im beginning to have my doubts.

S

OK some overnight rumination and testing have revealed that:

I know nothing.

As I had thought the battery draining of the one Samsung Zigbee button was curious in that it seemed related in time to the Zigbee Storms, I first swapped another Zigbee button in there -- also an older Samsung button, and it behaved similarly with rapid battery draining...postulating it might be because it was an older generation Zigbee device, I swapped in a Sonoff button, SNZB-01 to see if it behaved similarly.

Yup - sure did. So -- now to go with my Stormy hub, I have a corner of "Zigbee Battery Death".

I suspect that the problem with the button(s) is unrelated to the storms -- although there could be a link.

My thought at this point via-a-vis the buttons is that at night, I have several devices on induction charger pads, and 3 devices with 2.4GHz wireless stacked in that corner (Cell Phone, Tablet & Kindle) with the induction chargers.

If I had spent some time considering this in the past, I may have considered the signal environment in that corner...ugly is a word that springs to mind.

However -- this in no way resolves the Zigbee Storm issue, nor does it enlighten me on a root cause.

Back to the drawing board.

S.

1 Like

Do you mean 958 thousand messages?

My most-chatty devices generate much less Zigbee messages then ... (12 hours period) :

Nope -- 958, unless Hubitat threw in an implicit Thousand in there... My "top 10" below:

1108 now that I've trotted up and down the stairs a couple of times...

Note, as to the difference between the two Tuyas at the top, one has all logging turned off, the other has just Description Text Logging toggled on. I suspect they would be much closer if it was turned off.

S.

There's nothing to worry about, then... This is a normal load for a Zigbee coordinator.

Good -- Thank You!

Of course, I can't tell what's happening during a storm, as the Hub Zigbee radio is off and on all the time, and the doesn't seem to get any messages during that period (obviously).

I think I might need to get a Xbee to watch the network when these events happen.

S.

These Msgs counters show all the Zigbee messages that are received by the HE hub, no matter whether they generate events or logs.

Disabling the Info (and especially the Debug) logs helps to reduce the hub load, as much less logging data is stored in the database. But the device driver is still called on every message and the Msgs counter is increased.

What is the Tuya model & manufacturer data of these two devices on the top ?

Some devices should be broadcasting On/Off Zigbee Group messages... I have seen this happen several times when trying to pair an Osram remote and trying to pair an Aqara remote using the wrong driver. But this happens not as a storm - only when, during the pairing process, a key is pressed on the remote.

They are these:

https://www.amazon.com/Movement-Sensor-Transducer-Wireless-Connection/dp/B0BMT6YB9B

"Mini-Pir Sensor" on the instruction sheet, "Zigbee Motion Sensor" on the box -- ZG-204ZL/ZG-204G "Zigbee 3.0", no obvious manufacturers marks.

S.

These are just labels printed on the box... Please copy/paste the model and the manufacturer, as shown on the HE device web page - Device Details section.

Device Details

Yes of course -- sorry -- my coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

#1:

• endpointId: 01
  • application: 82
  • inClusters: 0000,0003,0500,E002,EF00,EE00,E000,0001,0400
  • manufacturer: _TZE200_3towulqd
  • model: TS0601
  • softwareBuild: 0122052017
  • tuyaVersion: 2.0.2

#2:

• endpointId: 01
  • application: 82
  • inClusters: 0000,0003,0500,E002,EF00,EE00,E000,0001,0400
  • manufacturer: _TZE200_3towulqd
  • model: TS0601
  • softwareBuild: 0122052017
  • tuyaVersion: 2.0.2
1 Like

Thank you. The difference with mine is that yours has a new firmware version. Hopefully, something is improved, bu not broken with the update...

2 Likes

It seems fine -- I really don't think it's part of my issue.

Your comment about the group messaging is interesting - I don't have any remotes, nor anything that I would think would cause a relay to click on it's own. So the question is, what is causing the group messages to be produced??? It seems like one or more of my devices must be doing it, but I can't imagine which.

I'm going to change the Zigbee channel on my secondary hub, just to make sure it's not (somehow) the guilty party.

S.

1 Like

Have in mind that it is enough that such a bad device has joined to the same Zigbee network - if it misbehaves, it will turn on/off all other Zigbee devices that listen for On/Off Zigbee cluster broadcasts, and this does not depend on whether the Zigbee hub is operational. You can power off the Zigbee coordinator (the HE hub), and the problem will continue.

There is no way to prevent this from happening, except to find the problematic device and to exclude it from the network, I have asked in several other forums, and no one has a solution. There is no way to 'immune' the Zigbee devices from accepting a cluster 0x0006 on/off/toggle broadcasts (this is different from the Zigbee Groups broadcasts used in HE).

2 Likes

Yes, this is exactly what I'm seeing, and given the "Mesh" network nature of this stuff -- this totally makes sense.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. The weirdness here is how it seems completely random. It never correlates with the addition of new devices, when I remove devices the behavior seems to "improve", but then a week, month, or a couple months later -- it happens again.

Frustrating -- but thanks for the assist! I'll keep digging.

Scott

2 Likes

By chance, do you have any Inovelli Blue switches?