Zigbee Smoke Detector

Hello all,

I ordered a zigbee smoke detector from Ali express. I can add the device on Hubitat and its getting automaticly a wall switch driver.

Wich driver can l use the get the Smoke detector working. Now its added but no event is getting created when the detector goes in alarm.

Gr Tayfun

1 Like

There are no zigbee smoke detector drivers in hubitat. Can you switch the driver to device, then click save, then click get info and paste the results in this thread for @kkossev to look at? He's usually good at that. And what make/model is it?

1 Like

This is a really important consideration.

In North America, we have independent testing organizations like UL. All smoke and CO detectors sold in the US are certified to meet their standards. I know similar certification labs exist in most other regions of the world, but I’m not familiar with the details.

Life safety devices sold on Aliexpress might be certified by reputable. nationally recognized testing labs. Or they might not be.

Getting a push alert on one’s phone is nice and all. But if a smoke/CO detector hasn’t been independently tested to do its core functions of detect and sound an audible alarm when it’s supposed to, then someone could become seriously injured or die.

The stakes aren’t as high for most other home automation devices sold on aliexpress (or anywhere else).

2 Likes

When I'm home l will use the device driver and post it in here. I also will try the halo smoke sensor driver to test

The smoke detector works perfect on his own. So when we are home we will clearly hear the alarm. I wanna add it to hunitat for when I'm not home. To get a notification.

I hope so. Any device can potentially fail in an individual’s home, but only a nationally recognized testing lab should provide the peace of mind that a manufacturer’s life safety devices, in general, meet a minimum acceptable standard of reliability.

If your device doesn’t have such a certification, then please consider the potential risk to your family, compared to a device that is certified.

4 Likes

The thing is falling of a device can happen to any of them. Also certified devices. That is why you need to test devices like this frequently (like ones a month).

1 Like

You’re absolutely right. Regular testing in the home is equally important.

But in general only the certification bodies test all the internal components of a device by actually subjecting it to the environmental conditions it’s supposed to detect.

3 Likes

Just to through out another option, I originally went with this device at my last house since my 11 or so smoke detectors were due to be replaced. I planned on going with "Smart" smoke / CO detectors but went with this option instead which to me makes more sense since Smoke detectors have a life span. Found it recommended here in this forum and works really well. I bought another one for my new home as well. They make a Zigbee version too but it is a bit more expensive and I already knew the Z-wave version worked great.

Ecolink Zwave Plus Wireless Audio Detector Wireless Audio Detector for existing Smoke/CO sensors

1 Like

I have several of these and they work well. The one caveat though is they are made for American sounds frequency/patterns as set by ANSI/NFPA, not European standards which use different frequency/patterns.

4 Likes

FYI, the Ecolink FF will work in North America but not elsewhere in the world. It listens for a specific smoke and CO alarm pattern.

1 Like

+3 for the Ecolink firefighter :slightly_smiling_face:. I have dumb smoke and CO detectors, plus several of the Firefighters to get notifications into Hubitat.

Edit: as @rlithgow1 and @aaiyar pointed out, in North America. If I’m not mistaken, it’s a UL standard that our smoke and CO alarm tones adhere to. No idea if it’s the same in other regions of the world.

2 Likes

I have Nest Protects simply for the interoperability.

I should amend my statement. Frient has a native driver for their Zigbee Smoke/Heat sensor on Hubitat. Hubitat worked with them...

2 Likes

@user1955 thank you for the tests!

The custom driver that supports this Tuya Zigbee Smoke Detector is now published here :

2 Likes

You are a machine! :+1: :clap:

1 Like

You are welcome!! Also thank you for making our life's easier xD

1 Like

Hello @kkossev,

This are the last events my hub received. Maybe handy to finetune precense status.

Gr Tayfun

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback, @user1955 . I have changed the offline threshold from 5 to 12 hours now. The debug logs show that the check-in messages are sent by the device every 4 hours, so to prevent accidentally sending 'not present' , it is better to allow a tolerance of 2-3 check-in messages to be missed before firing the alarm event.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.