Zigbee Outlet Slow

I have a U999SJVLDAA that Im using to monitor the charging of a hybrid vehicle and send notifications if the car isn’t plugged in each evening. It’s using the Generic Zigbee Outlet driver and have the ‘Enable Automatic Power Reporting’ set to 5 watts.

Everything works as expected on the Hubitat side but ever since getting this installed the charge time on the car has slowed way down. It usually takes 12-13 hours to get a full charge, but after installing this outlet its now 15+ hours.

Do these outlets slow down the flow of electricity in exchange for the ability to monitor it? Should the power monitor be a different threshold? Any other suggestions for adjustments or different outlets?

If there’s a better way to monitor whether or not the outlet has power in this application, Im all ears.

I would say no they do not, the flow of electricity is determined by the appliance (the electrical load), in this case your car. The power rating of a outlet/receptacle (usually expressed in amps or watts) is not a rating that expresses the outlet/receptacle's ability to regulate power, but is rather a rating for safety. For example take a electrical receptacle that is rated for 15 amps/1800 watts and wire it up to your panel with 10 gauge wire and a 30 amp breaker. Plug a 3000 watt load into the receptacle and the only problem you will have is a melting of the receptacle.

Having said all this, many electric cars will switch the 120 volt electrical load between 8 or 12 amps.
Screenshot from 2021-08-02 10-30-20
You may be able to go into you car's settings and select the 12 amps. The difference between charging at 8 amps and charging at 12 amps would neatly explain your charging time differences. Alternatively, your car may be trying to "smartly" determine which level to use and is switching down to 8 amps all by itself. Basically the car has electronics in it that attempt to determine if there are any other electrical loads on the circuit it is plugged into. If the car thinks that there is, it will switch down to 8 amps. So in a sense, the smart outlet may be causing your car to regulate the power draw down to 8 amps.

1 Like

That’s a great explanation; thanks for taking the time.

The vehicle is a 2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, and while Ive not noticed a setting to choose amperage, I’ll double check before plugging it in this evening. I’ll report findings as well.