Zigbee Motion Sensor Recommendations?

Nah I use 5v usb to battery contacts without issue on 3v devices. Just curious how long one would last.

While my windows are wood, I just discovered the magnetic qualities of drywall outside corner bead. No drilling required.

5 Likes

Awesome! It's amazing the flexibility that a magnetic mounting solution gives you.

It's magic! :wink:

I would prefer rechargeable batteries if they worked, as then it would be easy to just once a year recharge them all in one go.

As the battery reporting is so unreliable, now I just have to wait for a device to not be working, get the ladder out, figure out whether it's dropped of from the network, or whether the battery needs replacing, etc.

I should add that usually I don't have to wait, I just get the wife nagging at me that so-and-so light isn't coming on :smiley:

I believe that this is mostly a function of how lithium batteries work. They give a fairly constant output, then they're dead. With the Hue motion sensors, regular alkaline batteries come with it, which should in theory make for more accurate reporting.

Well, some people just proactively replace the batteries on a set schedule such as once a year, or every two years, etc.

1 Like

Try out device activity check community app. It lets you know if a device hasn't reported in for a specified time. I set mine to two days but you can configure any length of time you want.

3 Likes

Great app. I started using it instead of messing with battery reporting.

Yea, much more reliable way to monitor devices especially if your device doesn't report battery regularly. Also highly recommend if you use zigbee devices in case they fall of the network.

1 Like

I saw that Costco has the Hue motion sensors. I had to search “Hue motion” to get them to come up.

3 Likes

I tried Zooz and Ring Z-wave indoor motion sensors with really poor results. The Zooz didn't work at all, come to find out the note it doesn't work with the C-7 hub. Then I tried the Ring which worked but really slow to register and report motion resulting in slow automations.

Finally tried the Phillips Hue ZigBee indoor and outdoor motion sensors. Good build and outdoor has awesome include mounting options. Both worked perfectly with HE and report FAST!

Is there a good place to buy the nyce sensors? Amazon is low or out of stock and I need a motion + humidity sensor for the bathroom

You want the ceiling mount one with the tripple a batteries or the wall mount with the cr battery?

Ceiling Motion Sensor:

Wall Mount Motion Sensor:

The ceiling mount one.

They are fulfilled by Amazon so may just need to wait for them to restock. Supply chains are all messed up right now with covid. I really like the ceiling one. I have a bunch of them now.

1 Like

I’ve been watching these on Amazon. Availability kept slipping for the ceiling mount ones and now they’re not even listed.

I guess I’ll start looking for something else.

Nyce makes VERY nice Zigbee sensors, I have some of their contact sensors and they are amazing. However for motion, even ceiling mount, I've used the Philips Hue indoor motion sensors all over the house including three closets and kitchen pantry driving light automations on entry.

Here is the Philips hue ceiling mounted just inside the door where it will detect and fire, works awesome, zero complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Motion-Sensor-Installation-Free-Exclusively/dp/B076MGK22M/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=philips+hue+motion+sensor&qid=1613256995&sr=8-1

This seems to be an old thread, but I have Sonoff sensors, and they are working nice for me so far

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.