Zigbee Motion Sensor Recommendations?

I've went through several different brands/styles and found the Hue Outdoor "Dusk to Dawn" the best sensor of all. Its been in service on my front porch for over a year now and still has >80% battery life left. It has a great sensitivity adjustment to limit false positives, has a range of 20 - 30ft and comes in neatly packaged with mounting hardware.
I've even bought a couple for indoors I liked them so much. Costco has them for 2 for $80US

2 Likes

If you are looking for low cost B&H photo has Tp-Link Zigbee motion sensor MS100 for $9.99 each. I just bought 2 of these and they seem to work OK. They are kinda on the large size but function flawlessly. I have only used these for a couple days. Choose the generic motion sensor device and after you pair them, remove the batteries for a reset and all will be OK.

1 Like

I like the Philips Hue Motion Sensor.

It has a wide range of Retrigger times, with the default being 10 seconds. That gives you precise control of when your lights are turned on or off, in the case of motion lighting.

It responds quickly when motion is detected and the batteries last a long time.

The sensitivity can be adjusted, which is great, especially if you have pets.

I like the magnetic mount which allows you to position it very precisely and easily make changes. The magnetic mount also makes it simple to take down when you have to change the batteries.

It also reports Lux.

3 Likes

I just bought a indoor Hue motion sensor and it does not have a night light. I'm not sure where you read that. It has two sensors one for motion and one for illuminance/lux. It's been working great and I love how much customization the driver has. This is how I currently have mine set up:

In terms of the motion sensing, it is very fast. I was hesitant on getting a motion sensor because I wasn't sure how fast it'd be, but it's been detecting me entering a room the moment I step foot into it. Now I feel like I want to get these motion sensors in each room of the house! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

He's just mistaking the lux sensor as the night light. The lux sensor is used to detect the amount of light in an area. You can use this to base some logic off of. If there's motion but it's already pretty bright in here then don't turn on the light. It's usually pretty difficult to get the lux settings dialed in and working reliably but there are users on here that use them with great success.

1 Like

I've been testing the lux levels I want to turn on my lights at the past couple of days I've had the Hue motion sensor and I think I've dialed in the right number (12 lux for me personally), but will probably have to test a few more days.

I'm also really curious to test using the Eternal Sunshine app with this new lux sensor. I'll be using it to control a different set of lights (i.e. the motion sensor is in my living room and the app will be controlling my office lights).

How about the Visonic MP-841/Xfinity XHS1-TY?

Made for home security, but how about general lighting control? It has a 2 minute reset, which is livable for me, seems well built, large but not ugly in my opinion. Wondering how it would actually work. Did I mention cheap.

1 Like

Never heard of it and I don't see it on the List of Compatible Devices. So unless you know there's a community driver out there that will work with it, I'd proceed with caution.

I can't find the price on that one, so I'm not sure how cheap you're looking for, but have you seen the Ring Motion Sensors? They're also billed as "security" sensors so they don't have temp/ambient light sensors and so they're $10 cheaper then the Hue sensors.

I use the iris v2 motion sensors in my house if youโ€™re still able to find them on eBay. People generally rave about them and so far Iโ€™ve had good experiences as well. Luckily I picked up a bunch at the beginning of the year so Iโ€™ve got a number of extras.

1 Like

I went with some Hues. Not the cheapest, but apparently good.

2 Likes

I bought a couple of these on sale in the summer. They have been disappointingly slow. A night and day difference when compared to my Iris and Hue sensors.

I'll second that! The Hue indoor and outdoor sensors are on Costco online in 2-packs for $60 and $80 respectively. I've never had any issues with any of my Hue, Sylvania, or Iris V2 motion sensors ever, and some have been connected for almost two years now. In rooms that require multiple motion sensors, I have 1 Hue and the others are Iris. This gives me the fast retrigger time of the Hue with the added coverage from the Iris so the lights don't turn off when someone is in a room, but not creating enough motion to keep a single sensor active.

That's good to know about the Ring motion sensors. I almost got those because they were cheaper, but opted for the Hue motion sensors because of the added lux sensor.

Also it seems like Costco only has the outdoor sensors available online now (at least for me). I would love to get 2 more of the indoor sensors at that price!

1 Like

I opened the package on one and started fooling around with it. I have to say I like the smallness, magnetic mount or standing. Seems sturdy-like it could take a drop. 2 AAA batteries. Motion seems to be sensitive and have good range and quick; and lux is fast reporting, if that's needed. I wonder if the chattiness could be a problem with everything enabled.

When in doubt turn off anything you dont need. Or at least slow it down to a reasonable setting.

I just looked at the log. With a 10 second reset for motion, in a relatively busy, open, area, there are a lot of reports. I hadn't really noticed that with the GE Enbrighten wall motion detectors with the same 10 second reset. They are in small rooms with relatively less traffic though.

My living room and kitchen motion sensors are high traffic areas for me so I slow those down.

2 Likes

Cute little guy:

1 Like

A hulking monster compared to the Iris V2 sensors. They work amazingly well though. There is a firmware update for them if you have a Hue bridge.

So I've discovered.

1 Like

What I like about the Hues is that they stand by themselves. You can place them here and there, on a shelf, stairs, even if only temporary. I might even put some double-sided tape on the bottom for a few places. I'm sure the magnetic mount on a wall will be nice too.