Zigbee mmWave Presence Sensor

:point_up: +1

2 Likes

I already do that :+1:t2: tasker is great at calling local end points. When I put my phone on the wireless charger it sets a variable in tasker and calls a end point which sets a sleep variable in HE per person.

Then when they get up and remove the phone the variable is true and give it a shake it flips the tasker variable and calls another HE end point and flips the sleep variable.

Works very well and I use it to know what lights to turn on and with other rules once everyone is in bed it shuts down the house.

Not sure how this sensor would help as you can see from the above settings things to sleep is one thing it's ensuring it doesn't wake up unless you want it too which is the harder part.

BTW we use microwave sensors all over the UK, the company I work for makes them.
Also sunricher is making powered ZigBee ones.

5.x ghz is a common enough frequency.. Cordless Phones and WiFi are the two most common in my home. :smiley: Meshed Wifi is certainly filling your home with a 5ghz blanket all day and night. :smiley:

Sorry, but that's just not the same... I'm not interested in a "Sleep"-Routine. I already got one on my GH. Telling the Smart Home, that it's sleep time, no matter if it is using your phone-charger or giving a spoken command, is something completely different, then just falling asleep and a routine starts.

Yes but as I said that's all well and good but how does it know when you move on the middle of the night not to come out of that? That's why I mentioned mine which BTW is as automatic as it can be, I was already putting it on charge, I don't have to do any more.

Like I said the sleep part is the easy bit it's during the night and in the morning which is the hard bit.

Ah, now I see the problem! You determine if someone is asleep based on a drop in heart and respiratory rate. So even if you move, the system still knows, you're asleep. That's why I linked the paper.

Again on that topic. It still isn't firing up, when you actually fall asleep, which is the goal.

1 Like

My mmWave module has arrived today. I have a chance to test it for 30 minutes. I have a very simple room. There is no moving object like fans. So far, it work as expected. I have been sitting on my desk for a few minutes. It detect my presence just fine unlike a PIR or Motion sensor.

A long term testing is on the way. I will see how it work when I am sleeping tonight. I hope it detect human presence while they are sleeping as well.

BTW, the mmWave module is HLK-LD1115H 24G. This is a backup module I am using as an alternative to the out of stock DFRobot sen0395. If the HLK-LD1115H perform well, it is quite a blessing. The HLK-LD1115H is about $10 ish vs $29 for the DFRobot sen0395.

6 Likes

Have you built a presence sensor with that module yet?

Yup.

It works, and has way more adjustments than the dfrobots 24GHz one. Which is good, because it is even more sensitive, and needs a lot of positioning and tweaking if you don't want false positive/unwanted positives.

So I dunno I'm kind of burnt out on these. If you have pets or fans of any kind, you will almost certainly need to play with position / angle settings / strength /etc.

As I do have pets, and ceiling fans in every room, I really haven't found these all that useful for my purposes.

4 Likes

What driver are you using for this?

Annoyingly Withings could do this today with their sleep mats but prefer instead to ignore the many requests to expose their sleep and awake events in their otherwise pretty good products. These events are recorded and visible in the sleep analytics on their app. Just not exposed in their API :man_facepalming:t3:

Out of curiosity, what are you looking for from the API? My sleep mats do pretty good with presence, and home automation.

Triggers for going to sleep and waking up. Not just getting into and out of bed. Obvious use cases would be shutting down music, notifying wife to start preparing breakfast when I’m awake etc :laughing:

The annoying thing about this is that the sensors do know these status changes because they report on it as part of the sleep diagnostics. But they just won’t reveal them to the API.

1 Like

How are your builds?