Zigbee logs - should all devices report?

I've only recently started using Zigbee devices so am still feeling my way around it. I now have 12 Zigbee devices - 5 Hue Dimmers, 2 Hue Motion sensors & 5 Tradfri outlets. Because my mesh is small I've been using the Zigbee logs to see where best to place a couple of the Tradfri outlets that I'm currently only using as repeaters. I find it really useful to look at the signal values in the logs and wish Zwave had something similar.

What I have noticed though is that while all of the Hue devices report something in the logs every so often, even if nothing has been pressed on the dimmers for example, the Tradfri units never report unless they are switched on or off. Is this normal? Is it that the Hue devices are battery powered and so the hub checks in with them every so often? Everything is working fine, I am just curious to know how it all works and reports.

Normal, the Tradfri eventually reports, but they take longer times, similar as Xiaomi.

Not necessarily, each device reports differently, each manufacturer programs this different but compliant to zigbee.

And that is great, but if you want to see exactly how your network works you can try adding an XBee, with XBee you can map your network, some models have spectrum analysis and you can leave it in the network, they are great repeaters too.

1 Like

A quick Google leads me to think XBee is a whole new can of worms. There look to be a huge range of different modules and I wouldn't have a clue what to do with any of them!

Lol, we have a thread for XBee, I can recomend a very good one, you can use the XBee thread settings(first page) to set it up.

I used this USB communications board:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222965919255

And this Xbee:

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/xb3-24z8pt-j/digi-international

Good luck.

1 Like

Why do I feel like a man in a barrel at the top of Niagara Falls?!!

You shouldn't.

It's more like paying $20-25 for a Niagara Fall simulator video game. Nobody gets hurt, and the worst that can possibly happen would be you're out $20-25.

OK, you've talked me into it - devices incoming!!

While I wait for my devices to arrive can I just clarify my understanding on a couple of basic things before I get into the nitty gritty of setting up the parameters:

I connect the Xbee via the USB cable to my PC to set it up using XCTU?

Once that is done and it's connected to the HE Zigbee mesh, I can see the network map?

But to use the Xbee as a repeater/re-router permanently connected are you powering it then with a plug in USB power supply? At that point presumably you can't access the network map (which will have changed if you've moved the Xbee) unless you plug it back into the PC?

What about location of the Xbee? Are you going for close to the hub and using it to boost signal strength or are you placing it at the current edge of the mesh to expand it?

Yes

Yes, and if you ordered the model I shared the link you can use a spectrum analyzer too.

Yes

Yes

You can place it where it helps the mesh, this is why the mesh map, you can move it in between your hub and a low signal corner, for example. You can use the HE zigbee log too for the RSSI measure in settings, zigbee, zigbee logs.

Just a note, you should use channel 20 on HE zigbee, HE default the channel to 26 and this channel is not good. I was using the 25 and I had to move to 20. To change the channel you can go to settings, zigbee on the hub.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarifications.

Is Channel 25 definitely no good for Xbee? My HE is currently on 25 and my Hue Bridge is on 20, so I'd have to change them both to get HE onto 20.

1 Like

My personal experience was the xbee did not worked on ch 25, but I started with a series 2, I believe series 3 has no problems with ch 25, I hope you got the one from my link, a series 3.

Because I'm in the UK I was much more limited on available modules so I've ordered one of these so it looks like I will need to switch channels unfortunately

XBEE S2 2MW WIRE ANTENNA -SERIES 2 (ZIGBEE MESH) WIRELESS MODULE XB24-Z7WIT UK

That is the first xbee I got, not sure if maybe with the latest firmware, but it did not worked for me. Anyway, you can change HUE to ch 15 and HE to ch 20, if you have wifi, make sure they are in channels 11, 6 or 1.

My Wi-Fi is on Channel 11 so that's a start!

1 Like

Remember that Niagara Falls analogy? I now have three Xbees. Two are static repeaters and one that only gets fired-up when I want to check in on things. :grinning:

2 Likes

From zero to working Xbee in 3 days! It was all a bit daunting when I first looked at all the settings on XCTU but I was fortunate to find a download of settings from someone on ST using the exact same Xbee model as me that I could just upload to mine and it worked great.

ST thread with mapping xml file

Just for anyone else interested, my Xbee 2 XB24-Z7WIT does work OK on Ch 25 with the latest firmware.