Zigbee Lighting being overwhelmed

I have had a lot a success with Zigbee for lighting but I have noticed a small issue. If I keep pushing all on then all off rapidly it overwhelms something and stops working until it catches up. This is a really minor issue and I do tell my customers to simply wait a few seconds between presses. In all reality this is never done expect to demo the lights and the system can take a few on/offs before it stops working.

This issue does not exist with the Lutron bridge Caseta or RA2 so it is probably related to the Zigbee module.

1 Like

The zigbee radio is a serial radio that accepts/sends data with a max throughput of 250 kbps. I imagine that data transfer is asymmetric, so a maximum net rate of ~125 kbps in each direction. I would guess that rapid state changes can overwhelm the radio and increases noise from re-transmits etc.

However, as you correctly point out, this is a testing only scenario.

1 Like

I would agree with you. It is not something I worry about other than telling people that with the ALL ON/OFF feature wait a few seconds between pushes.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, What "ALL ON/OFF feature" are you referring to here?

In this installation; I use a Lutron Pico to turn ON and OFF/Change Color for all of the Zigbee lights; 10 INNR Zigbee bulbs on a dock posts....see picture above.

1 Like

Are you using zigbee group messaging for this? Because it seems like an ideal situation to use ZGM. Using it will reduce zigbee traffic for the on/off commands substantially.

4 Likes

Jinx! I was just typing the same thing when you posted :grinning:

3 Likes

Yes. I love Zigbee Groups. The popcorn effect is not desired and a Zigbee group solves it.

1 Like

Just be aware that ZGM is not a cure-all... It works great for all on or off, or setting all respective bulbs to the same color & level... ZGM shouldn't be used if you're doing unique things per bulb (power, color, level). I realize your use-case here is good-to-go; I'm just mentioning that here for posterity.

1 Like

It keep my INNR bulb in complete sync. I can change levels and colors and it all works at exactly the same time without any delays.

1 Like