Zigbee Heal - hub off vs zigbee radio disable?

I moved some Zigbee devices around recently...outlets, motion sensors, and contact sensors. I'm wanting to do a Zigbee heal to address this. Does it matter if I completely power down the hub or just disable the Zigbee radio for 15+ minutes?

1 Like

I've not done it on HE, but the process I used on ST is as you have described. Turn hub off for 15 minutes so that the devices go into 'panic' mode. I always left it for 30 mins though just to be sure.
Cannot think of any reason why doing the same on HE will not have the same results as ST.

Thanks, I'm wondering specifically if there's any difference between completely powering down the hub and just disabling the Zigbee radio. If disabling the Zigbee radio will do the same thing, it seems like overkill to turn off the hub completely.

1 Like

The reason the devices ‘panic’ is because they can no longer contact the controller.
Turning off zigbee for 15-20 mins should be sufficient.

Andy

2 Likes

There should be no reason to force the zigbee devices into "Panic mode". All you are doing is draining batteries doing this.

Zigbee self heals over time. It's built into the protocol. Just give them time to check in and build the new route tables.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, the xiaomi devices seem to fail to update routes normally.
I find they tend to keep old routes even if a new router is placed next to one of these devices.

Amdy

1 Like

The trigger for me to do this was that I was having some problems getting one of my Sengled RGBW bulbs to turn on last night. A few days ago I moved a repeater from between the hub and bulb to the other side of the house. It's far enough away that I'd have concerns about range, but it also may still be reachable by the bulb...not sure. My uneducated assumption was that this could be part of the problem. So I decided to give the "panic" method a shot.

I won't claim to understand exactly how all of the repeating and self-healing works, but it seemed to me that other than some battery drain, it couldn't hurt to force everything to rebuild routes from scratch since I have moved a bunch of stuff around in the past few weeks. Repeaters have been moved due to taking down Christmas decorations, and I've been experimenting with new motion sensors in various places, and moving them to different rooms based on whether or not I like the results.

FWIW, the RSSI number for the Sengled bulb with the intermittent problem has gone from -78 to -56 in the hour since I did this. I could be totally off base on all of this, but it seems like it might have helped.

@JDRoberts had a great explanation over on the ST forum that prompted me to do this instead of relying on self-healing.

2 Likes

I've read that article from JD before...and my take-away was this:
If you are just adding devices or moving things around a little bit, let the self-heal work it's magic and everything will be fine. No need for a "force-heal" (what I'll call the power-pull process). But, if you add a repeater or move around a LOT of devices or notice that things are taking a long time to respond or not responding at all, it might be time for a "force-heal". Would that be accurate @patrick? Others?

3 Likes

That was precisely my takeaway.

2 Likes

One question that i don't think was answered though, can you just disable the zigbee radio via settings and get the same result? Or do you have to pull power from the whole hub?

I can't see how it would be any different. My understanding is that once the devices can't find the hub for 20 minutes they enter panic mode. Pulling the power or disabling the zigbee radio should be identical from the point of view of the zigbee clients.

Of course that is just using my own logic. The zigbee engineers probably don't drink from the tap like I do.

3 Likes

This is very true. Don't do zigbee heal unless there is a reason. Half of my battery devices went almost dead when I shutoff the hub for about an hour. Costed me an arm for batteries. Zigbee mesh changes constantly when looking at my xbee. This probably is self healing.