ZigBee Green Power

I also spotted your reply a bit late :sweat_smile: I got distracted by some other stuff but am getting back to this project now. I've got 1 switch to test things, as well as the RPi with OpenHabian and the EnOcean dongle. However I've still got no clue how to set up the Hubitat - OpenHabian link or how to properly get the switch into OpenHabian, I'm fairly new to all this. I'm gonna try and work things out, but any help would be most welcome

To add to the discussion of why anyone would use ZGP switches: I'm sure there are many pros and cons but for me it was simply that the only smart switches I could find with the exact look that I wanted happened to be these.

Just had to resuscitate this thread to say I was very irritated with battery replacing on my battery buttons till I realised they were just the wrong buttons for me - I was using SmartThings buttons that were constantly chatting about the temperature. Changed to battery buttons that just sit there waiting to be pressed, and haven't had to change a battery since. My SmartThings ones are now at work where I need temperature monitoring :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would like to throw my own 2 cents in the mix here... I would really love Zigbee Green Power (switches) support in Hubitat!

1 Like

Zigbee2MQTT with HA and a different controller is the way to get this. Then use virtual switches shared from Hubitat to HA and HA automations to trigger them when your Zigbee Green Power device is actuated. Anything else is just not going to happen with the Zigbee controller that Hubitat uses. There's little evidence that it's worth that change or would be a good business move for Hubitat to change the current controller.

1 Like

I've been playing recently with a similar kinetic switch that controls a Zigbee switch via RF.
Although this is not a true Zigbee Green Power device, it's fun to know I will never need to care for batteries. Will probably install it at my parents house, as the Zigbee switch can control the bulbs offline.

1 Like

I'm just going to work around it I suppose.... It's not ideal, but if the solution is "use HA" then I'd rather just ditch Hubitat entirely and switch over if I'm going to be setting up a HA hub anyway.

For now, until I can be arsed to set up a HA hub (or until Hubitat fixes support for this) I'll just have Hue toggle the lights on and have hubitat capture it as an 'external light activation' by way of RM getting triggered when the light turns on, and it seeing that a global variable indicating it was set by Hubitat itself ISN'T on (I'll have to add this variable and have it get set & reset every time hubitat turns lights on/off via motion sensor or something else..).. so it knows via that roundabout way that the switch was pressed.

Unfortunately Hue doesn't allow switching zones/rooms without actual physical lights in them on or off.. that would have been ideal... but I guess this will have to do for now. sigh

I use zigbee2mqtt without HA.

FYI:

I've written device handlers for ZGP switches connected to the Hue hub via CoCoHue.
So if you have a ZGP 'Friends of Hue' switch and a Hue hub, I can share the code with you.
I'll talk to Robert to see if it can be included in CoCoHue
No promises it'll work though.. I only have my own 'type' of switches on hand so no idea if the events and naming adds up for other brand FoH ZGP switches.

2 Likes