Zigbee devices that are alive, but refuse to respond

This has been an ongoing theme with my hub since the C8 to C8 Pro migration. The worst offender is a Sengled RGB bulb that while showing a recent "last message", just a moment ago, doesn't respond to commands. Waiting a few hours usually fixes the problem, or power cycling the bulb will fix it too.

Besides this bulb, there are Nyce motion sensors and E Wand blind motors that need their power cycled every few days as well. They don't need to be rejoined, just power cycled.

I never had this specific problem with Zigbee on my old C8, not sure what to make of it or how to get it to stop doing this.

1 Like

I would like to add, I now have the Zigbee network graph open and I see several devices labeled "Unknown", with addresses that do not have an entry in the Zigbee Details list page. This is somewhat concerning and I've definitely never seen this happen before.

A couple simple things to try, if you haven't yet:

1. Shut down hub, pull power, wait 30s, plug in again. This will clear the Zigbee and Z-Wave radios (doen't remove anything, just sweeps up the cobwebs a bit).

2. Reboot (Settings>Reboot), and choose the option to rebuild your database:

2024-03-16 12_59_07-C8, C7, Hubs

2024-03-16 12_59_19-C8, C7, Hubs

1. If you aren't using your C8, you can try swapping an antenna from the C8 to the C8-Pro. Both antennas are dual, so it doesn't matter which one you swap to the C8-Pro.

I have eight Sengled RGBW bulbs that are a couple of years old. On occasion one or two would randomly quit responding. A power cycle would always bring them back for weeks until it was time for another walkabout. Over time they would all take a turn. I finally solved it by replacing them with Hue bulbs several months ago. Not a single failure since. My ZigBee mesh is strong and the Sengleds are the only things that would drop off. Turns out I didn't save anything by not buying Hue the first time.

I might give it a shot, but honestly I don't feel it's the bulbs. I feel that way because these problems only started when I moved to the C8 Pro, and it's not just the bulbs doing it. It could be something about how these bulbs (and the other trouble devices) talk on the zigbee network that's just, less compatible? I don't know, it's all very mysterious.

I can say since my post last night I haven't had another zigbee device stop responding, I did the following:

• Got rid of the "unknown" devices. There were a few no-brand water sensors I had removed from HE a few weeks ago that still had their batteries installed. About an hour or so from pulling the batteries the "unknown" devices were gone.

• Pulled power on the hub as recommended above, waited a full minute and then plugged it back in. I also used this opportunity to change the power supply back to the one provided by Hubitat, not the Anker USB power brick I had been using.

• Installed new antenna. I ordered new frequency-specific antennae from Amazon a few weeks ago, one for zigbee and one for zwave.

Hoping for the best...

While the bulbs and motions have remained solid the past 24 hours, the E-Wand blinds have already had a failure. 1 of 3 E-Wands was stuck in the open position, I just noticed it a few minutes ago when they close at sunset. They'll take turns doing this and it's almost every single day that I have to pull the batteries and power cycle at least one of them.

I may try unpairing all 3 of them and rejoining from scratch.

1 Like

Have you seen this ? It may help with figuring out what's up ..
Also will show if you need a repeater here or there to help ..
( has helped me ) Post map .. would be interesting to see ..

I have not seen that, thank you, I'm going to dig into this now