Zigbee device not working on new C8

My C5 Zigbee log after setting it up again. Lqi always stays strong. With the C8 I would have lqi under 100 sometimes. I think the lowest I seen it was Lqi40. Actually I shouldn't say sometimes any device that wasn't in the same room as the C8 would have terrible Lqi

1 Like

There's also http://hubitat.local/hub/advanced/freeOSMemoryHistory, which gives you the history going back to the last reboot.

2 Likes

well I updated to .113 last night

• Did a reboot radio/rebuild zigbee network shortly afterwards.
  • Power is set to 8 and channel is set far away from my 2.4Ghz wifi.
  • Hub is on the 1st floor in the center of the house.
    Unfortunately I didn't see any improvement in performance

This morning I ran my normal wake-up routine (Rule Machine) and 7 of 14 zigbee shades (Ikea)/blinds (E-Wand) opened
Tonight at sunset only 3 of those 14 shades/blinds closed,

I did notice that if I manually run the open/close rule a couple times I can get a few additional devices to respond. There were still some stubborn devices that required numerous open/close commands directly from the device's page. Distance from the hub does not appear to be a direct factor - the unresponsiveness was impacting two shades about 8ft away as well as ones on the second floor at farther distances

Just wanted to provide my experience after the update

to put things in perspective, my zigbee network has about 140 devices

30 routers spread evenly throughout the house - mostly Iris V2 Smart Plugs and Inovelli Blue's
110 end devices - mostly various Iris and Smartthings motion, contact and leak sensors

Temperature and power reporting are turned off wherever possible

Looking at my zigbee logs, LQI's are all almost always 150 or below. Occasionally I'll see 164 or 180, but its rare. Nothing above 200 thats for sure, including an Iris V2 Smart plug 10ft away with a direct line of site (LQI =176) and a Sengled Bulb about 1ft away (LQI = 176)

I never had a single issue with my C-7 with this exact same setup, so this level of investigation is relatively new to me, but it seems like my zigbee mesh is extremely weak and causing the missed commands I am frequently observing

Any thoughts or advice?

just out of curiosity, how did you migrate back to the C5? Did you do it manually or is there a quicker solution?

Not much help solving your problems, but I'm tryna of your scores, you might find this interesting:

Have you tried playing with the power level of your Zigbee radio?

I did incrementally increase the zigbee power level and I noticed the higher the power the lower the LQI.....but I'll take a look at the link you provided to get a better understanding of what all the numbers mean. Thanks!

Ugh I'm rambling on about some hue stuff. If you're asking because you want to know if you can migrate back or restore zigbee to a C5. I think the answer is yes. There's a recent thread on this topic somewhere on here but it's pretty confusing. I don't even think the Bruce knew the answer right away.

Lost another INNR plug and Hue outdoor motion sensor overnight. Sigh.

Seeing exactly the same symptom. Popcorn shades. 8 shades. A couple will open.

I have a rule that runs through each shade and closes or opens them at 1 second intervals, and repeats until they are all up or all down. Occasionally on the C7 it would need a second pass to get a single errant shade. With the C8 takes three or four runs to get them all.

1 Like

You can restore from the cloud back to the c5 but for the zigbee portion you will have to re pair everything though they will slot back into place.

If you restore from the cloud to another c8 you do not have to re pair your zigbee stuff.

2 Likes

I'm curious do you have any Zigbee 3.0 repeaters?

Why would a repeating device perform better with a C5 even if they all have crappy signal?
I finding out that Sonoff outlets and Hue Outlets seem to be terrible repeaters with the C8.

1 Like

Yes I have 5 Inovelli blue switches spread out throughout the house.

1 Like

does anyone know which antenna on the C8 is for zigbee and which is for zwave?

Zwave should be the one closest to the USB connector, so the other one…..

2 Likes

so I put a proper 2.4 ghz antenna on the zigbee side to see if that makes any difference. However I do have a concern. Just because the C8 has a lot more transmitting power and better antenna doesn't automatically make all the endpoints have a lot more transmitting power and better antenna. The hub might be able to clearly send a signal to the endpoint but the endpoint may not have enough power to send a signal back. Hopefully the Mesh network has some way to make up for this I'm not sure repeaters would help if the endpoint is just replying back to the hub directly,

1 Like

Increasing the power on the Zigbee chip also increases its receive sensitivity…

2 Likes

and that will help clean up noise for signals at the far edges of what the endpoint can transmit to but it can't make the endpoint transmit farther,

It makes it listen harder, but does increase the possibility that RF interference could cause issues - double edged sword.

2 Likes