Zigbee anomalies, new firmware

Will all Zigbee anomalies going to be fixed in in the new firmware.
I have to use tasmota bulbs now because zigbee is totally unreliable.
Thank you

I would guess that the answer is no. If you have zigbee anomalies, it is likely a mesh issue, not something that can be overcome by the hub. I have around 150 zigbee devices and they are very reliable, but I have 2 hubs; one for lights and one for sensors and button controllers.

2 Likes

In this case it will be hard to recomend the Hubitat hub to anyone.

Let us know more about your setup, what type bulbs, zigbee routers, zigbee channel.
There are many people willing to help who have worked through this before.
I have plenty of bulbs connected to my hubs, along with many other zigbee devices, and it works.

Please reply, so you don't miss out on all the amazing capabilities of Hubitat.

4 Likes

You haven’t provided any details about what issues you are having, devices in use, etc. There are a lot of helpful people here that may have had a similar experience and could advise you on what to try. My experience has been that HE is much faster and more reliable than my previous home automation hub.
Most people aren’t having issues with zigbee, but there are devices that are known to not work well and will wreak havoc with other devices and can overwhelm the coordinator.

2 Likes

HI Ken
I have hue white bulbs, a four button controller from tuya. a philips hue dimmer, sonoff motion, humidity sensors sonoff buttons, a hue motion sensor and a tradfi repeater which i never seen used by any of my devices. Is any of these problematic?

Thank you

I tried the bulbs on HE briefly and quickly put them back on the Hue bridge. They are Zigbee LL I believe and work great on the Hue bridge, but not anywhere else. Everything else should be good, but you will need a repeater every 10 to 20 feet for devices farther from the hub. Generally something like a Tradfri, Samsung, or Sylvania plug or GE in-wall outlet or switch for every 6-8 non-repeating devices.
BTW: I’m not a Hue hater. I have two Hue bridges and about 60 Hue lights.

3 Likes

If Zigbee was broken, there would be hundreds of angry posts on this forum, yet I have not seen this. Could it be a firmware issue, yes. Is it likely, no. I would suggest that it is something unique to your setup or your hub causing the problem.

You should file a trouble ticket by sending support an email at the address at the top of the page if you have not. (support@hubitat.com)

You also can roll back firmware and find one that works, (or see if Zigbee works in general) but I would probably wait until after support looks into your case to do so.

1 Like

This isn't an issue of a failure of the hub, it's a failure in implementations of the protocol. Some hubs fudge things to make their stuff work with both ZLL and ZHA (Hue for example) Others don't deviate from the specs (Hubitat, Smart things, Homeseer) and that's where the problems are. Most zigbee devices are ZHA and repeat properly (zha bulbs don't repeat). Zll bulbs on the other hand only repeat when they're on and when they go to off (low power mode) they don't repeat so things routing through them go kablooey. Then there is the messaging aspect in which a lot gets lost with ZLL (another reason sometimes on hubs like wink or hue that there is a delay in going off because it keeps sending until it gets a proper response) That's the simplest explanation (I'm sure people more knowledgeable than I will chime in) . So in the end keep ZLL bulbs on a seperate hub with no other zigbee devices (I picked up a hue bridge v2 kit for $35 on clearance at home depot just to run a bunch of cree bulbs I have for table lamps because I tend to use switches for most of my lights)

3 Likes

The devices listed aren't problematic, the fact that the one and only repeater you have installed doesn't appear to be in use by any of your devices could be an issue...

3 Likes

Curious.

I have been slowly migrating from a ZWave / Zigbee mixed devices networks to mostly Zigbee since they are proving to be rock solid reliable in my home (garden and exterior included).

I have everything running on a single C5 hub and couldn’t be more satisfied IMHO.

(My two cents)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.