Zigbee 3.0 Power Strip, 4 USB ports, & 4 spaced outlets

Was there a breaker in it?

Kind of like when a chicken w/its head cut off runs around? :wink:

1 Like

I do not get why it is so tough for some of these things. I have a Ubiquiti wifi power strip. 6 controlled outlets, USB controlled separate... $49 and one of the few Ubiquiti devices that stays in stock and is not outrageous, like many of their devices. The problem is it is not that easy to control (even if you DO have their Unifi system)... Although I have it linked to my Hubitat and it works great.

But the short of that is, 6 outlets and USB controlled for $49 in a solid, WiFi-based device. Why is it so hard to find comparable ZigBee ones? Kasa makes decent WiFi ones also... But again, WiFi.

4 Likes

Bingo

2 Likes

How'd you do that?

My Unifi Network Driver has it as a supported device (as well as the single outlet plug and the massive rack-mount power strip). Works well so far. Although I will admit that I control the single plugs more frequently than the outlets on the strip. Just the way it has worked out.

For me, I am pretty "saturated" for indoor plugs. I am looking more at the power strips we have around the house that could be replaced with controllable ones. I would also love to have a few outdoor controllable strips at this point for holiday stuff, although I have a lot of the Minoston outdoor plugs for that purpose.

1 Like

I've been using this exact same Zigbee power bar for the last 4 months.
No issues.
However, "forewarned is forearmed", and I'm going to make sure I don't plug too much into it.
Usually, I have an Alexa Show, and a water cooler.

1 Like

[Quitely pushes the water cooler a few feet farther away from the power strip]

:wink:

2 Likes

DOH...forgot about your Unifi integration! Thanks.

1 Like

I am sure there are plenty of people using it without issue since they are using it for fairly low-power items.

@cwwilson08: When you opened yours up did you notice any markings/ratings on the relays? Not that I necessarily trust their rating... but putting it at some smaller level should enhance the safety a bit.

All: So I can come up with at least few variations I could see use for, with general factors of fire retardant materials, legitimate certifications, 4-6 outlets, 2-4 USB outlets, and ZigBee. I personally would prefer solid-state relays also but that is not a requirement. As I see it:

1. USB-A female ports vs USB-C female ports
  2. All outlets on/off vs MOST outlets on/off with 1 or 2 be dimmable (for those times where you really need to control a light or fan, or something in the same general space)
  3. Energy reporting for entire strip (as a single lump sum) vs energy reporting per outlet vs energy reporting for a single outlet (so that outlet could be used as a "master", ie: if outlet 1 is drawing more power like the TV is not just sleeping, then turn on the AV system). Energy reporting could be considered optional but I think it is generally somewhat useful to have one of those variations.

Any thoughts?

@Rxich: Not trying to hijack your thread... maybe you saw some of the things I am mentioning above when you were searching for the one you bought?

1 Like

Big difference between 10A and 15A (normally you would expect lower amps on a 220 device but maybe they are out of order compared to the input voltage) but that also does not confirm what the actual relays themselves are. Plus, that could technically be the limit for the strip as a whole not individual outlets.

Although I did not notice these were part of the Tuya "ecosystem"... that has it's own pros and cons. But they have been more successful with it than Particle was with theirs...

Please see above added photos..
Warning-graphic images involved of internal "organs" :grinning:

2 Likes

That's an excellent question.

I couldn’t find any that I felt safe buying, so I have a couple of the TP-Link Kasa Power strips.
They work great, but I'd prefer zigbee instead of wi-fi.

I was kind of hoping that since the 4th generation Echo has a zigbee hub built-in, we might see one from Amazon.

Anyone thinking they're going to plug 4 1500 watt space heaters into one of these does not have a firm grasp on electricity.

I purchased mine to power off less important network devices during a power outage. Largest load is 2 x 100 watt poe switches for my security cameras.

I wouldn't trust a low end outlet strip from the big box stores anymore then these. They're are probably made in the same chinese factory as these.

I will soon be swtiching to a custom multi-outlet system controlled by node-red/RPi/relays bypassing zigbee altogether.

Thanks. To be honest that is also surprisingly better made than many I have seen. Odd that there is no relay for the USB ports, not exactly sure how they are controlling those.

The relays actually appear to be decent. 10A for 120V (although that is a max), so the sheet is a bit out of order but I was even able to find the manufacturer's datasheet (in Chinese). I cannot read that but some things are still apparent from the values.

The Tuya chip is a TYZS3 which has decent documentation. Tuya Developer Link for TYZS3

No it's not fake at all. The next photo is the room bursting into flames and everyone screaming and running. George Costanza knocks over an old lady in his hurry to escape.

Seriously thou, here's what the USB ports deliver, not quite the claimed 10.5 watts but enough to charge your phone within 12 hours

3 Likes

I am not a circuit board designer, but those 120V traces look awfully wimpy to be carrying 15A, especially all the way across that board. I would think that if I were to buy one, I would try to add physical 14 awg wire between the incoming 120V hot and neutral and every outlet.

For those using what driver are you using in Hubitat?

I was thinking of using for the on/off usb and a low power device.

It uses the generic zigbee multi endpoint driver

1 Like