Zen51 not showing physical switch event

Im using the Zen51 wired to a standard on/off toggle wall switch. It works great. I have it configured in the Up=on and Down = off mode. The switch automatically goes on digitally from Hubitat when there is motion, then turns off 1 min after motion stops. What I want to happen is if light goes on digitally and someone flips the wall switch up, the light will then stay on until wall switch is flipped down again. Unfortunately if the light is already on when the wall switch is flipped up, no "Physical Switch" event takes place. It seems like ZooZ's Zen51 should be able to detect this. Any ideas?
Thanks

What driver are you using? If your not already using it, I HIGHLY recommend @jtp10181's excellent driver.

If you have other Zooz gear, Jeff probably has a driver for it -- they are all fantastic.

Im just using the built in Zooz Zen51 Dry Contact Relay driver.

I'd try the other driver and see if the reporting is improved.

I dont think the device reports a switch event in that case. If you turn on the scene/button event though, you should get a button event. Not sure how useful it will be in your case though. There might be a certain way to configure it and get what you want... I would have to look at all the settings.

Thanks guys. As you say jtp10181, using your driver still no physical event when the switch is already on. I assume you wrote this before Hubitat wrote theirs? Which driver do you reccomend I use? :slight_smile:

Some of mine came after the HE system driver. My drivers will expose all advanced settings and options, whereas sometimes the HE drivers are missing some settings and more basic.

I feel like there should be a way to do what you want I will just have to think about it some more.

1 Like

*** IGNORE WHAT I SAY HERE, I WAS MISREADING THE LOG. GO DOWN A COUPLE POSTS TO SEE WHAT WAS REALLY HAPPENING***
This is bazaar. By adding a "custom attribute" trigger-event along with the "Physical" trigger-event, I now receive the Physical trigger event when I flip the switch up while the light is on. Something is whacky, but at least I know when the wall switch was flipped.

When I only have the "Custom Attribute" trigger, I get this which is exactly what I want.

Ok, so maybe the device is sending the event. You would not see it in the logs because it would be a duplicate event and hidden usually. Also gets hidden in the event history by the hub.

If you enable debug logging on my driver, it will do a debug log when it is a duplicate event. Can could turn that on and see if thats what is happening.

Some drivers will even block posting the event to the hub, but I always post the event and let the hub decide if it should show in the event log or not. The info log and the event are actually two separate things done by the drivers. I always post the events but hide the logs (as debug logs) for duplicates.

Ignore my remarks above. I was misreading the logs. The "physical on" event above was triggered as soon as I turned the light on digitally, not when I flipped the switch up. I can't move my hand from iPhone to the wall switch in 5 milliseconds. Same with the custom attribute trigger event list. I did discover though, like you said, the custom attribute "push" event gets fired each time the wall switch is toggled regardless of the Zen51 state. So using that I can do what I wanted to do. With the "External Switch Type" set to On/Off Switch, when the "pushed" event fires and the Zen51 is on, I know the wall switch is up. If "pushed" fires with Zen51 off, I know wall switch is down. Im hoping the Zen51 state changes before the "pushed" event fires or I will need some delays. If you still would like to see some logs just let me know. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Yeah that's something like what I was thinking would work using button events, I was just not sure exactly without testing it.