Zen27 dimmer question

I've only got a single zooZ Zen27 and I'm not sure how to make it behave like I want it to. My wife wanted it setup so that if the switch is off and you turn it on, it will ramp up to the max brightness with a single tap (not the last used dimming level). If you want it dimmer, then you can turn on the light and dim it. That was simple enough to accomplish. I'm at work at the moment, not at home, but going from memory there is a parameter with a setting "double tap to maximum brightness disabled/single tap to maximum brightness" that I selected.

This is working fine. I can turn the light on, dim it down to 40%, turn it off, and when you single tap on, the light comes on at full brightness. What I can't seem to figure out though, is if the light is at 40% brightness, why does a single tap on not make the light go to 100%? And before anyone asks why I would expect this behavior... this is exactly how I have a zooZ Zen30 double switch setup in another room. If the Zen30 is below 100% I can single tap on and it goes back to 100% immediately. I don't know if I am missing something or if the Zen27 just can't do this.

Any suggestions? Should I just make a rule that changes the dimmer level to 100% when the button is pressed? Just seems weird that the dimmer on the Zen30 apparently behaves differently than the one on the Zen27.

@agnes.zooz

I don't have one of these,so going off of the documentation here.

What firmware are you on? Maybe that would help to update. ZEN27 S2 Dimmer Change Log - Zooz Support Center

And I think Parameter 18 would help. ZEN27 S2 Dimmer VER. 3.01 Advanced Settings - Zooz Support Center

You can set parameters by using the Hubitat Basic Zwave tool if it isn't exposed in the driver.

It's on 3.1. I updated the switch as soon as I got it and before I installed it.

And I think Parameter 18 would help

I can change this in the driver. But it doesn't help.

Parameter 14: Enable or disable the double tap function and assign brightness level to single tap.
Values: 0 – double tap to full / maximum brightness level enabled (default). 1 – double tap to full / maximum brightness level disabled, single tap turns light on to last brightness level. 2 – double tap to full / maximum brightness level disabled, single tap turns light on to full / maximum brightness level.

I already have parameter 14 set to 2. This works when the switch is off, but if it on and has been dimmed a single tap on the paddle will not return it to full brightness.

Ultimately... it's not a huge deal. I can probably create a rule in RM for setting max brightness with a button press or use the simple automation app. The issue is mostly with consistency. We shouldn't have to remember which switch works in which way.

I would verify that it is really set by using the basic tool. IF I am interpreting this correctly, you want 18 set to 99. It sounds like the driver is keeping it on 0 (last brightness level) instead.

The firmware is programmed so that a single tap will go to full brightness only if the switch is off. You can program a scene with a single tap up as a trigger to turn the dimmer to 100% which should address the issue you're seeing. Is it possible that this is how you programmed your ZEN30 or have you only applied the advance setting for double tap to it?

@waterboysh
If what Agnes said is the case, then this would be very similar to the idea I posted in your "Not Sure How to Motion Lighting" post from yesterday. Use the button controller, and when button pressed turn on light to 100%.

The firmware is programmed so that a single tap will go to full brightness only if the switch is off. You can program a scene with a single tap up as a trigger to turn the dimmer to 100%

This is what I was planning on likely doing. I figured this might be the case.

Is it possible that this is how you programmed your ZEN30

I have not done anything to the Zen30. It can do this out of the box by changing one of the parameters. I'm at work, so I forget which parameters I changed, but I can post a screenshot sometime later.

We'll compare them in-house so you don't need to screenshot it. I'll keep you posted if the firmware on the ZEN27 is updated to enable single tap to full brightness even if the switch is already on.

I was just looking at it (and trying to get the z-wave parameter driver installed to check the Zen27, I'm using @bcopeland's driver but I also tried the built in driver). He did not make a driver for the Zen30, so I'm using the built in one. There is a setting called "Dimmer brightness controll" that I set to "single tap maximum brightness." I don't see an equivalent setting for the Zen27, but then again most of them are worded differently.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.