Zen17 with Zooz Garage Door app -- relay intermittently not being activated

Hi there,

I just picked up a Zen17 and I've been encountering a strange issue. Everything is configured properly and generally working, but fairly frequently I am experiencing an issue where the garage door app receives an open or close command, but it doesn't actually engage the associated relay. So its not a zwave issue; I don't think it's a hardware issue... and I haven't seen anyone else report this issue, so it's hard to believe its a driver or app issue...

Take a look at these logs (bolded the relevant part). You can see the device receives the command, but the app doesn't engage the relay despite it going through the process of thinking its closing.

dev:2492022-10-08 02:38:24.496 PM debug Garage Door - door is closed
app:2272022-10-08 02:38:24.487 PM debug Contact sensor changed to closed
app:2272022-10-08 02:38:13.657 PM debug Relay Switch Turned on
app:2272022-10-08 02:38:13.278 PM debug Turning on Relay Switch...
dev:2492022-10-08 02:38:13.202 PM debug Garage Door - door is closing
dev:2492022-10-08 02:38:13.187 PM debug close()...
app:2272022-10-08 02:38:10.183 PM debug Sending Notification: Garage Door Failed to Close
dev:2492022-10-08 02:38:10.169 PM debug Garage Door - door is open
dev:2492022-10-08 02:37:57.124 PM debug Garage Door - door is closing
dev:2492022-10-08 02:37:57.109 PM debug close()...
dev:2492022-10-08 02:37:51.377 PM debug Garage Door - door is open
app:2272022-10-08 02:37:43.092 PM debug Contact sensor changed to open
app:2272022-10-08 02:37:38.333 PM debug Relay Switch Turned on
app:2272022-10-08 02:37:37.925 PM debug Turning on Relay Switch...
dev:2492022-10-08 02:37:37.812 PM debug Garage Door - door is opening
dev:2492022-10-08 02:37:37.794 PM debug open()...
dev:2492022-10-08 02:35:39.943 PM debug Garage Door - door is closed

Any thoughts? I am at a loss how to make this work consistently. Thanks!

What app are you using to control the door?

What sensor are you using to determine position?

In the future, screenshots of logs are easier for folks to read and interpret (instead of text copy/paste)

Thanks for your reply. Using the Zooz Garage Door app which is how Zooz recommends this to be setup.

I'm using a wireless tilt sensor. But the tilt sensor isn't the issue. It's the lack of the relay being activated (which the logs demonstrate).

Sorry about the logs. Fixed.

I have a similar setup and I have seen this, but not fairly frequently. Maybe two or three times since I installed the Zen17 6 or so months ago. Each time it happened I would try again and it would work.

Can you please post a screenshot of your Zooz garage door app is setup?

I'm grasping at straws but I'm wondering if there's maybe a timing-related issue we can perhaps identify that's tripping something up when doing a back-to-back open/close or vice versa...

Thanks for the replies. While the example logs I provided did show a fairly quick turnaround for opening/closing, I'm finding that this happens even when the garage hasn't been used for hours. In fact, I'd say it's now more common that the relay isn't getting activated versus it happening.

Here's another example... it may look wonky (and back-to-back) because I immediately re-executed the command when I noticed it wasn't working, but it again shows the lack of the relay being activated even when the garage hadn't been used in 2 hours. What I don't understand is the app is getting the request, it's just not consistently sending that "Turning on Relay Switch..." command... Could that in fact be hardware or an issue with the code?

In any case, here's the Zooz garage app setup:

This is probably a long shot, but did you set up the relay with an Auto-Off by customizing the corresponding Zen17 parameter (I don't recall which parameter # that is)? If not, you can easily accomplish the same effect right in the Zooz app -- the "select Auto-Off timer" option. Either option then makes the relay act like a momentary switch -- that helps ensure the relay turns on just for a sec, then goes back to off status.

2 Likes

i had the same issue .. was mesh issues.. zooz does not have a particularly strong radio and garage is usually at edge of the mesh.. had to put a copule of good switches as repeaters in the garage and one or two on the way from hub to it..

what does your routing show for the zooz in the zwave info

2 Likes

Thanks again for the replies. I appreciate it.

The Zen17 relay is setup as a garage door, which in essence creates the momentary switch without setting the advanced setting to auto time off. That part works well, and if I directly engage the relay itself (not via the garage app), it works as expected every single time.

Also, it's not a routing or range issue since the command is appropriately received and always shows in the logs--it's the triggering of the relay that is inconsistent. Also, since I first started encountering problems I moved the Zen17 to the same room as the C-7 (no hops, direct to the hub at 100kbps). But I actually have a few powered plugs and light switches very close to the garage, so before I moved it closer to the C-7 to remove that variable the mesh was good.

At this point, I think I've observed enough data to determine it's a problem with the parent/child device created with the Zooz apps and drivers code. Here's why:

Whenever a toggle is sent from the garage door app, the logs do show the open() or close() command being received. This appears to be present in the code for this driver code here. It's making a call to the child app -- parent.childOpen(device.deviceNetworkId).

However, when the relay doesn't kick off (which means there is a lack of the "Turning on Relay Switch..." log entry), that log entry appears in this child apps code here.

Since this is all happening within the C-7 itself, it leads me to believe this is either a weird Hubitat issue (not consistently communicating with a child app) or its a code issue. My gut tells me it's the latter, but then why aren't more people using this app experiencing it? I did see someone reference a similar issue to mine in a thread from a few years ago, but that user hasn't posted since and I don't know how it was corrected (and I'm having trouble even tracking down that post now).

Last night I removed the Zooz garage door app and incorporated the LGK Garage app. While there are aspects of the Zooz app I prefer, and would rather use the Zooz if it was consistent, I haven't yet encountered an issue of the relay not being activated with LGK. So I'm appreciative that the LGK is working for me now.

1 Like

Ah, interesting - I forgot Zooz added GD as a relay option in a f/w update at some point after I set mine up. I don't have my relays (well, relay since I just use one of them) connected to my two sensors - they all function independently (i.e. both "Input trigger for Relay 1/2" options are disabled). I use the Zooz app GD to tie it all together and that's always worked well for me.

If LGK's app works for you, that's all that really matters!

2 Likes

The.fact that the.logs show an.entry means nothing. It can easily be a mesh issue. all that means is.the driver got.the message not that the device itself received it. Glad my app is.working for you anyway.

1 Like

This started happening to me after I updated to 130. Kept getting door failed to open. Might sporadically work. Reverted to earlier version and it works fine again. I've had this issue in the past, but for a long time it was very reliable: roll up and the door opens as long as the SmartThings presence sensor still has juice, and even then, no error message. This is just my experience.

This is also happening to me, never once had an issue until now. Can confirm adding a 1 sec delay seems to cure it, but don't know why,

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.