Z-Wave vs Zigbee locks

I have heard over time that Z-wave locks are not as reliable as Zigbee locks, and I am starting to see that being a trend, I have 2 Kwikset locks one Zigbee and one Z-wave, and the Zwave locks seems to want to show as unlocked even when it is set to Autolock (Wonder if that is the problem)

But the Zigbee lock always seems to report its status quickly and onetime.

Perhaps a driver to the Kwikset lock?

help, suggestions, ideas etc would be great, perhaps replace the lock with a Zigbee one and move the Zwave one to a less used door?

You can replace the zwave chip in it with a zigbee chip. Sometimes those can be found cheaply on eBay. You can also buy a zigbee Kwikset Convert on Amazon for cheap, and just use the chip from it. (And keep the rest for spare parts) A minority of people have a mesh that just happens to forward all messages to/from the zwave locks correctly, but most will experience some unreliability. It can't be fixed at the driver level. The z-wave spec is just deficient in this regard, and some manufacturers (Schlage) have extra buggy firmware too.

1 Like

Generally owners seem to be having better luck with Zigbee locks. I have a Yale YRD256 Z-Wave Plus lock, that even before I had a Z-Wave repeating device, never gave me a minute of trouble. Excluded and Included many times for testing. All prefect. @gavincampbell has the same lock and does have trouble with it. So while it doesn't have a perfect track record with everyone, it's been perfect for me. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I have a BE469 for testing. I have a rule that locks or unlocks the device every half hour. In the last two days, this lock/unlock routine has run flawlessly. The lock isn't mounted in a door so it may not be a great test and I will eventually move some locks around and mount it in an exterior door. I need to redo my Z-Stick secondary controller and see how this lock is connected to the HE hub. I will post my test results one way or another.

3 Likes

I have been running both Kwikset and Schlage locks on Hubitat and SmartThings with Z-Wave radios. What seems to solve many of the issues is making sure you have a secure connect Z-Wave plus device in close proximity to the lock when paring. In addition may of these locks seems to leave the factory "included" so the first step I always take before inclusion is to exclude the lock.

At one of the properties I support we have 4 Schlage locks and never have lost connectivity or missed a command to lock or unlock. I can't speak to other that have issues with these locks but so far my experience has been good.