Z-wave update... failed? or what?

Tried to use the built-in integration to upgrade my zooz z32 800 series from 2.1 to 2.3. Downloaded the file and uploaded it, then went to the update process. There was something shown about progress but then it eventually disappeared, not replaced by any error or success message.

The last logs have this:

app:722024-01-09 08:30:57.985 PMdebugFirmwareMdReport(manufacturerId:634, firmwareId:8, checksum:0, firmwareUpgradable:false, numberOfTargets:0, maxFragmentSize:40, firmwareIds:[], hardwareVersion:null)
app:722024-01-09 08:30:54.666 PMdebugFirmwareMdReport(manufacturerId:634, firmwareId:8, checksum:0, firmwareUpgradable:false, numberOfTargets:0, maxFragmentSize:40, firmwareIds:[], hardwareVersion:null)
app:722024-01-09 08:30:53.040 PMdebugFirmwareMdReport(manufacturerId:634, firmwareId:8, checksum:0, firmwareUpgradable:false, numberOfTargets:0, maxFragmentSize:40, firmwareIds:[], hardwareVersion:null)
dev:432024-01-09 08:29:01.424 PMinfoZ32 was turned off
dev:432024-01-09 08:29:01.404 PMdebugparse:zw device: 0D, command: 2503, payload: 00 00 00 , isMulticast: false
dev:432024-01-09 08:29:01.108 PMdebugskip:FirmwareUpdateMdStatusReport(status:255)

When I go to the device page, it still lists 2.1 as the version

Did you try re running it?

Nope I was afraid to try again given I don’t see/understand what actually happened…

I can certainly give it another go

I haven't used the built-in updater for a long time, since it can't handle S2 devices.

If you're willing to try something else, I came with the steps below to do S2-device updates, but it works just fine for non-S2 devices too.

I realize it's more steps than the built-in option, but I've updated a wide variety of Zooz devices many times using these steps and they've never failed me.

[GUIDE] Z-Wave device - how to update firmware using the driver method - :bellhop_bell: Get Help / Devices - Hubitat

You can keep running it till it works. It will either work or won't.

I ran it again today and got to it saying something to the effect of “final packet sent waiting on device” and then an “update complete” but if I go to the device I’m STILL seeing the older version. Do I somehow “refresh” these details or something?

Remove and re pair and it will show the new version

If I remove and repair won’t I lose all device preferences as well as any integrations with apps or otherwise?

Yes, unless you do a "swap" dance.

Note that don't need this value to be updated; it's not standard, just something some drivers do. The Device is Firmware Updater app can always fetch the current version for you (for display in its UI) if you need to check. Or with some drivers, a "Refresh" or "Configure" might do it. This is the csse if you are using my driver; not sure about the built-in.

1 Like

Hmm well I just went to the updater again and selected my switch, and it still shows it as 2.1…

Edit:

I ended up changing the device driver and that ended up refreshing the version #. Or just a coincidence.

I do belive it caches, and you need to select another device if thst one was still selected.

1 Like

yes I have experienced the same with my Inovelli switches, version updates after a re-pair

IIRC, when I've had that be stubborn in the past, I've been able to get the correct f/w to display by changing to the "Device" device type and hitting the "Get Info" button (correct firmware should show up in the Live Logs when you do this), and then going back to the regular driver.

1 Like