Z-wave Switches Failing

I have had 2 Leviton DZ15S-1BZ Decora Smart Switches go bad (quit working completely) in the past 2 weeks or so. Weird thing is that they were both in the same location. One went bad and I replaced it and now it has gone out. Won't even turn on the lights. The first time, the lights were on and I had to replace the switch late at night to get them off.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this to happen?

Thanks!

Is it complete dead? I have a Leviton dimmer that once a month or so completely locks and does not turn off even pushing the button but after power cycling it works perfectly again... Dimmers are a lot easier to power cycle though as they have the air gap thingy...

I did notice that it was on the same circuit as a bathroom fan/extractor that when turned on would make two or three lights around it flash... I replaced all fan dumb switches with Zooz ones recently and the light flashes stopped, have not had the dimmer lock again either, hopefully that was the problem...

Do you know which firmware version you have on these Levitons? I had several problems with the Levitons and after a firmware update most of them went away. I bought Homeseers Z-Flash utility to update the firmware. Best investment I made for the Leviton dimmers, especially if you have them in 3 way configuration and want reliable events on physical on/offs.

Did you buy the homeseer bundle with a stick
Or just the s/w?

I only bought the SW. You can shutdown your HE, remove the USB stick and connected it to your PC. This way all of your devices are also paired with that USB stick.

The biggest problem in all of this is installing the driver for the USB stick. Especially if you use Windows 10.
You need to start your PC to allow the installation of unsigned drivers, here are the instructions to do so: Windows 10: Disable Signed Driver Enforcement
Then you need to find the driver that works. The best reliable one that I found came with a different piece of Software called Axial Server (you can get that here: Download Axial HA Server). I just installed and never even started it. You can find the driver then in c:\Program Files (x86)\AxialControl.com\Axial Server\drivers

Once installed, you can run Z-flash and you should be able to see the USB Stick in there.

After updating the firmware and starting up HE, I would recommend to cleanly exclude the switch from HE, do a factory reset of the switch and then include it again. There were some users that reported some problems after a firmware upgrade but the factory reset solved that.

1 Like

thanks worked great
like you said the Hubitat Zwave stick driver took a few attempts to install but worked.
Maybe @bobbyD can recommend a certified Windows 10 driver that would make the process easier.
Updated my Leviton DZ15S-1BZ switches which lost connection once or twice. Will see if the new firmware fixes that but the connection loss was very rare.

Where did you find the actual firmware for the switches? I have a mix of versions on the ones I have. Would gladly pay for the firmware tool if I could update all of these Leviton switches to the latest

the firmware is in the Homeseer s/w

Here's a full discussion including links to where to get the firmware and how to install.

I've had no problems with these switches or dimmers since....

(Leviton z-wave plus dimmers - firmware update may needed to work with generic smart driver)

What happens if you can't join the the Leviton Z wave switch to the HomeSeer ZWave flash utility. When I went to add it, it attempted to join but I got an error from the HomeSeer Z wave flash app indicating it can't obtain the information. No go on updating the firmware.

I attempted to remove device from HomeSeer Zwave Flash utility but it couldn't see it to exclude. I can exclude from Hubitat.

I have tried multiple times and each time I get the same results. Any ideas?

After you installed the driver did you try rebooting your pc?
Have you tried different usb ports

Tried 2 USB ports. Have not tried restarting PC. Will try that today. Also considering trying my laptop over the PC to see if it's a distance issue. I'll keep you posted.

did you put the switch in pairing mode then select add switch in the homeseer program?

Still no go.

1. I verified the switch was excluded in hubitat.
  2. Installed homeseer Zwave flash tool on my laptop
  3. Installed hubitat USB stick, installed drivers, rebooted.
  4. Opened homeseer flash tool, it saw the Zwave USB stick and started scanning network, etc. Once done I selected add device.
  5. Went to the switch 5 feet away, held up for 7 seconds till the yellow light came on then I pressed the up key to confirm. Switch flashed green. Flash utility showed the device was added then after about a minute it errored out with the same error as my above picture.

Starting to consider I have a $50 dumb switch now.

you could try powering the breaker off on then retry

It's been a few months since I did mine but I do not think you have to exclude from Hubitat and it is already paired to the stick.

Well the device wasn't exactly added to hubitat. It would never quite join it.

you could also try a factory reset

hold the top switch for 14 secs
it will turn amber then start flashing red/amber after 14 secs

You are awesome! The factory reset did the trick. Spent hours on this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.