Z-Wave Plus switch (Leviton VRS15-1LZ Vizia RF +) not consistently reporting switches to hub?

Does anyone have experiences with Z-Wave+ switches sending status changes to the hub so that automations can pick up the change to do something? I have the Leviton VRS15-1LZ Vizia RF + switch controlling a light. When I turn the switch on or off, I want to also switch another light. I set up the appropriate automation, but the second light only reacts to commands about half of the time, especially not when the switch is switched multiple times within a few minutes. The automation itself is working. If I use the hub to switch the switch, both lights turn on or off. The switch is configured as "Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch" (I also tried Generic Z-Wave Switch, same result).

Any hints on how I can get the switch tell the hub more reliably when it was pressed? Is there a different device type I need to use? This is the switch that I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HT0PB2

Any ideas are much appreciated!

The smart switch is probably the correct driver for this device. Put the driver in debug logging, open live logging, then go the the device, turn it on and off, then post a screen shot of the logs, I may be able to see what it’s doing from those.
You could also try the central scene control driver, but if the smart driver doesn’t work well, that one probably won’t work any better.

Previously discussed. See Physical Events Not Logging Consistently

That model of the Leviton does not use central scene commands: it uses the older local scene Commandset.

It’s reporting its status via the “hail” commandset, so that’s what the hub should be looking for.

However, that command class has now been deprecated for the newest Z wave plus devices, which should be using lifeline Association instead.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the quick replies

@danfox52 I’m not sure if this is the same case. The switch is supposed to report its status to the hub. The hub should not need to refresh the status. I created such a rule and it’s now catching up in case it didn’t work right away, but that’s far from ideal.

As far as the “hail” commandset is concerned, does anyone know if the hub is compatible with that? Like I wrote above, pushing the switch gets recognized about 50% of the time. In that case I see the logs in the hub and the rule gets executed. When the second light doesn’t come on, I also don’t see anything in the logs. It seems as if the hub has no idea whatsoever that the switch was pressed. Are people from Hubitat reading here?

Yes, hail is supported.

1 Like

I see the same issue with my GE 12722 switches. They do report physical on/off, but not consistently, and I can’t tell why they might work one time but not another. I have 2 kitchen switches and if I turn both on one right after the other, one will report but the other won’t.

Try using Rule Machine to setup a periodic refresh as described in this thread - Physical Events Not Logging Consistently.

I did set up a periodic refresh rule, but then within a few hours the hub locked up and had to be rebooted. Now that I turned off the periodic refresh of switches and dimmers, the hub stays up longer. I still end up having to reboot it eventually though. I contacted support and they mentioned something about secure devices causing issues (and I have 3 Kwikset door locks) and that is being worked, so for now I will leave off polling. Maybe when that problem is fixed, so will the switch reporting problem,I can hope!

1 Like

Try using Rule Machine to setup a periodic refresh as described in this thread - Physical Events Not Logging Consistently.

I did that, and it makes the thing work in some way, though waiting 5 to 60 seconds for the second light to turn on is not necessarily that great either. The larger point though is that the switch and the hub both should support immediately detecting that the switch was pressed, and sometimes that works. Is this a bug in the system? Is there a way to file a bug?

1 Like

I sent an email to support@hubitat.com to open a ticket.

1 Like

Just in case other people have GE 12722 switches, it seems that I have run into the problem where the repeaters don't forward on the proper status (or something like that). When I put the hub on a long ethernet cable to re-pair my lock, I tried some suspicious switches, and they reported physical events. But the ones that were reporting physical events stopped. Ugh! At least I now know what is going on there. I will probably replace all the switches with smarter switches, but 8 at about $40 is going to have to wait :slight_smile:. Since I have no automations based on switch or dimmer states, I just created a virtual switch to refresh the switches and dimmers, and put that on the dashboard.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.