Z-Wave network stops Zigbee keeps working

I really like the Nyce Sensors.. but they are Zigbee and kind of expensive.

Yes, in particular the ceiling one. It uses 2 tripple a batteries and the batteries supposedly last 5 years. I don't have any proof of that runtime but there are a couple users with 2+ years on the original batteries. I have one in each of the 4 bathrooms and laundry room. Probably going to get another for in the kitchen. They are also good at augmenting motion detection while people are in the bath so I can automate the lights in the bathrooms without worrying about a light turning off on someone while they are in the bath.

1 Like

I've got one more S0 device: It's a door lock. Is it worth pairing that without encryption instead, or is the trouble isolated to the zooz 4-in-1 devices?

No, It isn't a chatty device and you probably can't pair it without security anyways since its an entry device. Even if you could I wouldn't recommend it for your own security.

1 Like

Well there are a couple of devices that can crash the que. But Zooz 4-1 is the one that I see the most at the moment. Power reporting devices with a low threshold also are pretty bad at doing that.

I did end up getting rid of my S0 locks in favor of Zigbee. I wasn't having any issues, I just wanted to get rid of my S0 devices. Ended up getting a Yale 256SL and it's worked great. Even wrote an Auto Lock app so I could tweak things the way I want.

1 Like

Thanks for the support, the most common way its lock if I leave a dashboard page open on my phone for a long period/mabe a network change. My fire tablet running 24/7 doesn't seem to adversely affect anything

That's a good idea. I purchased the kwikset lock because it matched all the other locks in the house, and was able to re-key it the same. I did read that some people purchased a zigbee radio for the lock I have, but I can't seem to find a source for just the radio.

That one appears to be sold out at the moment. It just doesn't seem right to spend hundreds on new sensors when I can get a sonoff sensor for $10 each. Even the inovelli is cheaper than the Nyce sensor (although, that's sold out too).

Any chance I can use that UZB dongle to run the 4-in-1 in something like home assistant, then bridge home assistant with hubitat? I wish I would have known of the incompatibility before purchasing the HE. I'm pretty sure it wasn't listed as incompatible at the time of purchase.

Zooz requested them to take it off about a month ago.

Yes, you could do that and bridge with Maker API I think it is. HA can be a pain in the butt though if you're not familiar with it. The December release is pretty nice though.

Check to make sure you don't have every device included in the dashboard configuration. I've seen this cause issues on the hub.

If you do have all your devices on one dashboard, I recommend splitting them up into multiple, then use dashboard links to get to each.

Notice the temperatures... I think my wife is a cold blooded lizard.

1 Like

Thanks, never used the all devices option, and yea all split up.

@gopher.ny Its locked now
Edit so noticed at 2.30am bathroom fan running went to see and z-wave not responding. I turned it off a left it. Nightly maintainance must have run (didn't clear it) then at 6.30 i did a power down and unplug to clear the lock.

must have happened just after 12.28am uk time as they are the last couple of z-wave events

I'm still having this issue as well, but it's better now. I've noticed that every sensor seems to continue to work, but the switches fail to switch. I've rewritten my pistons to count the number of failures. I'm tempted to reboot build something to reboot it when there's two many failures.

Did you ever ditch the 4-1's?

Since latest update I've only had one lock up that I've noticed and it fixed itself after about 30 seconds

I got all the parts to ditch them, but have 2 left attached to hubitat. I moved one back to smartthings and used bridge software to test it out. Oddly enough, the 4-in-1 sensors seem to stay active; it's the switches that haven't been active. Perhaps I should look for updated drivers for them (as well as replace the 4-in-1).

What brand of switches are you using?

The one that seems to be the most impacted is a Zoon Zen30 in my bathroom (it's likely also the most used). It seems like pulling the air-gap switch for a few seconds sometimes restores operation. I'm wondering if when I used to have complete z-wave lock-ups, I now have conditions similar to @mark.cockcroft (after some amount of time, it starts working again).

Elsewhere, I've got a Dome water valve, Honeywell outdoor switch, Zooz Zen15 x3, Zooz power strip and a GE/Jasco dimmer plug. I think that's all my z-wave stuff.

I'd check this and turn off power monitoring on this if you haven't already. I don't have an easy fix for those zooz switches since I don't use them.

Power monitoring is the only reason I have the powerstrip - it's nice to see the state of the monitors, computer and other stuff on my desk in my automations. I could turn down the report thresholds, or just move it to smartthings instead.

I'll likely work on getting the zigbee motion sensors setup, as soon as it becomes less work to install those than to keep the hub up (ha!).