Z-wave help

General rules (IRRC)

• If they are Z-Wave, a node repair can help.

• If they are Z-Wave Plus, they should repair themselves.

If it was my mesh I'd let it sit for a while...

Did you note before you removed it if there were any devices routing through the repeater you excluded?

I didn’t think to make note of the routing.

The mesh will heal it's self but you can do individual device repairs to speed it up. Start near the hub and work your way out.

1 Like

Something to remember the next time. :slight_smile:

Wait, there will be no next time, right? :wink:

Some "ghost routes" i.e. a device route that shows as going through a non-existent device can persist for a long time. Most will clear but some might not - I had an Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor Gen 5 that would just not adapt it's route for over a week or so. Finally excluded/included and that did the trick. Previously had tried to wake it up, repair, refresh, configure etc.

Note: the device it was trying to route through had been excluded, powered down and did not show in the secondary controller list.

:ghost:

2 Likes

Brute force... I like your persistence.

2 Likes

good to take a screen shot of the routing and also any automations, dashboards on the bottom of the device page. Especially if you will be re-doing or replacing it.

when i moved from smartthings i had a million screenshots of all the devices settings and automations to help reproduce everything easily.

1 Like

I was going to do this but I found that some of the things I was doing in ST probably wasn't the best way to do it. I was definitely one of the problem childs causing all the clould traffic.

1 Like

Shameless shard-killer... :wink:

3 Likes

Things seem to have settled down well. I have a Lock to pair still, should I pair it at the hub before installing or pair in its final location?

The general advice is to either pair it near the hub and then move it back, or move the hub to the lock to pair it, and return hub to it's spot.

After that there may be some time while the lock finds its best route to the now farther away hub.

Which lock, and Z-Wave/Z-Wave Plus, or Zigbee?

Hey Louis, The 3210L's that were screwing up your mesh. Did/do they have the sticker indicating, supposedly, a newer firmware?
I bought all my plugs very late, Iris was going down in flames, I swooped in with a fire suit and grabbed 6 plugs, for 8 bucks each.
Joined all the plugs to IRIS originally, not sure if they updated, but think they did.
Only deal is the plug is communicating at 40kbs for me

Mine are 3210 L2 and we're manufactured after the L barcode.

I moved a z-wave plus siren from my living room thinking that the rest of the stuff in the room would heal itself. Unfortunately the power strip has fallen off the network again. I've got an outlet coming that will going in a similar spot that the siren was sitting but I am wondering if the power strip will rejoin the network on its own or do I need to exclude and reinclude?

May have to power it down and back on to stimulate conversation, but I’d think it would start trying to communicate and rejoin if it can find aroute.

Reviving an old thread

Everything had been running pretty good but recently I've seen some slowness, 9 of 31 devices are running at 9.6 kbps. I have 4 more switches to add but am wondering if I should resolve this issue before adding them.

What is the communities thought on this?

Was looking over your Zwave device info are you still using S2 security on most of your devices?

Yes, it was working so I didn’t want to touch it.

If I exclude and re include with the same name do I have to re do all my rules and such?

Replace the device with a dummy device in your rules so you dont break them then swap it back. You can just use a virtual device for this.

If you go to the device and scroll all the way to the bottom, it will show you all the rules that the device is a part of.

1 Like