How To: Remove Ghosts using hub tools or a UZB Stick

Did you try to do a Z-Wave pairing in HE? Sometimes it will pop up. Also there is no device in the Z-Wave details?

Another question you probably already answered - how are you doing the device (not stick) inclusion? Via the NWI button?

To pair the stick I was launching inclusion in HE then in the PC controller using "select learn mode" > NWI
The stick always shows in Z wave details, the dimmer device never does.

Yup - the +NWI button.

Arg.
Had a look for help on the Aeotec website, and then tried the entire process using their PC manager software, with identical results:

Adds fine to the stick, but fails to show in HE at all.
Too tired.
Will have another go tomorrow.....

2 Likes

OK - well this is weird.
Having left it overnight, the change has replicated over, and the dimmer device 64 has appeared in the device list.
Maybe I just need to chill the heck out and wait. The include happens so fast on the PC, that I assumed it would replicate across to the HE fairly quickly - clearly not - it either needs a fair old while, or a shut down and restart of the HE (though it can't be just that, as I tried that).
I used the Sigma Designs/Zensys controller to achieve this:

though for a bet the same would happen with SILabs.

Out of interest, I was puzzling through how the Stick ensured that it didn't allocate a DNI that had been allocated by HE. I read up on SUC and SIS:
http://dtvrc.com/2019/02/06/difference-between-suc-and-sis-controller/
Is the stick an SUC and the HE an SIS?
if so, then they have to be talking to each other for the stick to include a new device and issue a DNI.
I'm going to press gently on with re-pairing the S0 devices with no security, then hopefully building out the rest of my z wave network... I'll drop a further update here in a while.....

2 Likes

Time heals all wounds. :slight_smile: Or is it "Overnight Hub Maintenance heals all inclusions." :wink:

Glad it's finally coming around...I know how it feels to get stuck on an issue and fell like you aren't making any headway for a while, very frustrating. Looking forward to hear how the rest of the inclusions go...

1 Like

Isn't there a way to kick off the maintenance process manually?

edit:

1 Like

stepping gently on...
I've been round and included 5 devices - 4 were old ones that had been on S0, the other was a new one that had yet to come over from ST.
All this was done walking around with the stick on it's own using it's button to exclude then include.
pretty much immediately you see some stuff in Z wave details:

However not everything appears and the UNKNOWN are a bit scary.
I left it some more, and rebooted the HE.
Now I see:

Which is moving in the right direction.
@erktrek which of those functions were you suggesting I run?
I had a quick look through the post and found:

http://hubIP/hub/zwave/nodeCleanup
Http://hubip/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

Which look promising.....
Though I'm not keen on doing anything unless I understand what it's supposed to do....

2 Likes

That is very wise... I think these are part of the night time routines, resolving issues with the internal HE DB with the Zwave DB stuff.. I think maybe rebooting does this as well in an "every other" time kind of thing but am not sure.

This was the one I was looking at:
http://hubIP/hub/cleanupDatabase

This one is just a zigbee report and is not necessary..
Http://hubip/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

FWIW I just ran both cleanupDatabase and cleanupNode on one of my hubs.. and it seemed to work okay - said "done" both times. I would probably reboot again as well.

Having a stick with an internal battery and a way to remotely include/exclude stuff is very handy. Even though my Z-Stick+ is a 500 series, still gets a lot of use vs the UZB-7. Both are good of course..

I have never done the include bit that way so good to know it works as expected.

Let's hold on with the "works as expected" for a little bit.....
I've done the nodeCleanup and cleanupDatabase and rebooted, and all the devices have a "discover" button still.
I'll leave it overnight & see what's there in the morning.

2 Likes

Yeah good idea - then those procedures did not do anything relevant to the situation.. I wonder what else gets run.

1 Like

Go figure.
I started today very glum as there were no changes overnight to the screenshot in post 85.
Then 15 mins ago I tried clicking "discover" on one of them yet again.
And it came back good!!!!
So I clicked discover on all the others, to no effect. I looked at the logs and it was full of "z wave network responded busy" entries.
I resolved to sit down at my multi screens and pick through the logs, and when I looked again they'd all come good and are in the devices list!!!!!!!

I have NO idea what is making them come good - I've clicked "discover" a good few times in the last 18 hrs. So right now it looks like it needs 18 hrs plus the odd discover press.
However I know that can't really be the case.

I suppose it doesn't really matter as I won't have to do this often, but it's a little bit frustrating.

I'm off to pair a whole load more, well maybe another 10 - let's not overload it!

Well that's good!!! Yeah it really is a mystery how this stuff works - probably a combination of factors. I wish there was a more definite strategy other than just mashing a bunch of semi-responding button/links on the UI and rebooting from time to time!

There probably is if one digs in to the logs to understand what's going on.
I may yet have a go at that - though which logs (z wave or normal) and exactly what I'm looking for is a little unclear to me at the mo'

1 Like

That way leads to madness... "network busy" is the mind killer.

One thing I have found through personal painful experience is impatience is also a very bad thing to have.. A lot of these devices are slow for config/maintenance stuff due to their lightweight/embedded nature. Trying a jumble of solutions one after the other doesn't help and may make things worse.

2 Likes

Congrats, glad things are improving! One thing many of us have noticed is that doing a
few hub reboots when adding devices can really help. So, pair two or three devices, reboot hub, pair a few more, etc. You might give that a try...

3 Likes

@jamesxheath - I wanted to report back about something that JUST happened..

I noticed one of my master bedroom switches I upgraded from a Zooz Zen23 V2 to a V4 was paired with "S2 unauthenticated". Also the network speed was showing as 9.6. The switch was not responding to events unless I hit refresh each time on the device details page. Seemed like it had not paired fully.. dunno. At any rate I wanted no security. Also had my UZB-7 running the PC Controller Sw (PCS) on my latop.

Had to force remove the switch from the HE UI and then in the PCS do an NWE and exclude that way. Worked as expected..

Decided to change to my Aeotec Z-Stick for giggles and to try remote pairing.

Rebooted the hub normally via the UI and excluded the UZB-7 via remove from the device page. Paired the Z-Stick with HE with no authentication (skip from the pin code popup). All devices were shown in the PCS as expected.

Removed the stick from my laptop (and exited the PCS) and used it to first remotely exclude the switch again (just in case) then pair it to the stick. When I put the stick back in the laptop and reran PCS simply hit the "update" button. Didn't really know where the new device was so moved over to HE.

On the HE side I checked the Z-Wave details page and like your experience did not see anything. No blank entries etc. Before going crazy(ier) I went to the HE "Discover Devices" / "Z-Wave" page and started the inclusion process. Almost immediately the switch popped up!! No configuration or delay.. Was able to do a save and then control from the new device page with no issues.

Now it's paired with no security and responding properly...

1 Like

You realize that now you're going to need to test this three or four times, and then write the steps up simply and clearly so I can add it to the FAQ. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HA - I'm sure I can replace some other switches.. :nerd_face:

I wonder if it makes a difference using a 500 series vs 700 series... Initially I tried to pair it with the UZB-7 but the messages at the bottom of the PCS kept looping. Had to abort then reboot the HE.

The fact that using a Z-Stick allows you to pair device(s) remotely is great.

1 Like

There is always mischief to be made...

Like the Lone Ranger, dispensing justice across the prairie. :wink:

2 Likes