How To: Remove Ghosts using hub tools or a UZB Stick

This may be "normal" but it looks weird. All my ZWave devices have one or more "in" addresses - but most of them have no "out" - here's a small sample:

I am suspicious my stick HAS ghosts - but catch 22 - can't find the ghosts with a clone of the ghost.

Can you control a device like a switch in the PC Controller SW? Highlight the device and try "Basic Set On/Off"?

Yep

Cool then the secondary controller bit is working and you know that device you toggled is too! Unfortunately I don't know enough to say anything smart about the clusters.. only that clusters has been removed from the Z-Wave details from 2.2.28 and forward..

So what make's you think you have ghosts?

Nothing in particular - was just looking for app to connect my zstick so i can do OTA and set params - but THE guide seems to be this one and i have had ghosts in the past - so thought i'd look for them again - didn't find anything (other than the odd behavior of adding the stick). Maybe the solution is to pair the stick with the network BEFORE connecting it to the PC?

Back to something you said earlier - no zwave on your C5... did you migrate all your zwave and keep the zigbee on the C5? i just ordered a C7 and realize i have 53 zigbee devices i will have to figure out how to re-pair.

I left the Zigbee on my C-5 because the radio is the same as the C-7. C-7 was for the Z-wave stuff to take advantage of the 700 series chip...

Migrating ZW isn't such a big deal as the device database is not stored on radio but on the hub so a simple backup old hub/restore on new one works - you might have to kick each device into pairing mode but thats it. Should pop up and be recognized.

Heres a post by Bruce about migrating if not using the subscription service:

Yeah, i saw that one - then I was thinking i'd use Hub Protect - then I thought about just keeping the C5 and migrating ZW devices to C7 - now I'm not sure which way I'm going.

I like having separate hubs - less overhead on both. You can share devices using HubMesh for rules and such.

I'm trying to et this going to do includes with no security instead of S0 on a C7 HE.
I thought I'd add some extra info as I struggle through.
1/ in Simplicity Studio, you MUST login before installing the Z wave tools, otherwise it will only do a partial install.
2/ I found it would not accept my login - it worked for downloading, but when I tried to log out of the profile in the browser and back in it failed. I had to create a whole new account in the browser with a different email, that then worked in the IDE.

I'm now at the point where I've got the stick (Aeotec Gen5 not Gen5+) showing in SImplicity studio, but it won't pair with the HE.
I'm within a foot of the hub, I'm clicking "start Z Wave inclusion" in the HE, and "Classic Learn Mode" in Simp Studio...

hmm- went back in to settings and noticed that the "version" was not showing, did a "detect", and then tried classic learn mode again and it worked!

It's not showing in the HE Device list, but it is showing in the Z Wave Details list.
Clicking Discover there has no effect.
Importantly for me, it shows in that list as security "none".
all of the nodes on my Z wave network do show in the PC IDE....

I cant login to simplicity. Tested to create new account like you said but that did not help either. Found ini file modification too, that did not help.

arg - I feel your pain - I'm maybe an hour ahead of you.
Test the account you're using by logging out and in again here:

using the little person icon top right - if the account doesn't work there, it won't work in the IDE

Both of my accounts works when logging in with browser but no go with software..

@bcopeland recently told me that it's best to use Select Learn Mode>NWI when adding your UZB stick to the hub from PC Controller. May not matter in the case of your error, but worth trying that. I've updated the instructions a week or so ago and noted in the OP about the update, but it's probably not obvious enough.

Glad you got connected.

I was recently using my UZB stick and had a case where I connected the UZB stick to HE but only got a partial device list. Disconnected and reconnected and got the full list.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, I've never experienced that issue, and don't remember others mentioning it.

So why is that? - just curious :thinking:

I've been using CLM for a while without issue but would prefer to standardize on the recommended way if possible...

I've just tried with "Select learn mode" then NWI and got exactly the same result I'm afraid.
Seems to have included - it shows up in the HE page as "initialising...." but then sits there for ever (it's taken a LONG time in the past, so I left it 5 mins).
When you go to the Z wave details page it's there with security "none", but hitting "discover" does nothing - the log shows the dreaded "Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message."
Rebooted the HE, but still the same...

I note in Z wave PC controller that the include reports:
22:56:31.053 Learn mode Added (Security Failed) completed in 00:00:52.486

Could the security failing be an issue? note that I've still not been able to change the region in the PC controller, and I'm guessing that it's set to US - not sure what the consequences are of that.
Note that I'm using a C7 HE here - in the doc, I think that @bcopeland 's comment "Just include your Z-stick and when it comes to the DSK portion
click "skip" so it gets no security… If the z-stick has no security, it cannot include with security." may be referring to the C5 hub which I think I've read would prompt for security settings?
Could this be anything to do with it?
Has anyone done this with a C7 - surely they have.... I've tried this 3 times now with identical results (BTW I do see all my Z wave nodes on the PC)
In the HE logs I see "discovery running", I do not see anything saying it's stopped, though the timer has expired.
When I click "discover" for the "SPECIFIC_TYPE_PC_CONTROLLER" showing in Z wave details on the HE, I again get "Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message."

It's late, I'm stopping for tonight & won't be able to progress till monday, though I'll read any comments - it feels like I'm so close.....

Using the secondary controller/stick you cannot include S2 devices with S2 security..

You can include the stick either with or without security - it will still be able to add non-secure devices as Bryan mentioned and also remove any faulty device on HE via the "Is Failed" / "Remove Failed" route including S2 devices.

Words from the wise below:

1 Like

I recently reported this issue - UZB stick not completing joining/creating a device when joining the hub...HE staff Z-Wave guru replied:

So it's aparently nothing to sweat over. Just as long as it shows up in your Z-Wave details (example below) you should be fine, it will do it's work from the PC Controller app, of course as long as you see your Z-wave devices/nodes in the PC Controller app. If you don't see them, unpair and try again.

So evidently a "nothing to see, move along folks" situation. :slight_smile:

BTW - I'm going to update the doc w/the info about not worring about the UZB stick getting a device assigned to it so hopefully this won't trip up others.

2 Likes