Z wave firmware updater time frame question

Alfred the door lock company sent me a firmware to update because they think this may be the reason why the LCM isn't showing when a code is used.

Alfred told me if I had any issue to check with HE 1st.

I just installed the Zwave firmware, I change the driver of my Alfred to the zwave.
I uploaded the firmware file Alfred gave me to
https://github.com/philly0128/Alfred/blob/main/RGZW1791U_DB1-US_V1.05.01.otz
but this is what I see, the 1st time I started it around 2pm and then aborted at 7pm

this is what I see in the log files

This is what I see once I added the firmware file to the file manager in HE and used my local IP for the URL http://192.168.1.37/local/RGZW1791U_DB1-US_V1.05.01.otz

Is that IP address the IP address of the same hub you're using to perform the update? If so, try port 8080 (an alternate for the default port 80 that should serve the exact same content), so http://yourHubIP:8080/local/fileName.otz for the firmware file in the updater driver.

Alternatively, are you on a C-7 hub? If so, you could try the new(-ish) built-in firmware updater app as an alternative to using the driver. This takes care of the file upload for you and also works a bit differently, though I'm not sure if there are any differences at the Z-Wave level (the UI is the biggest notable difference), so if everything else is correct in your setup, I can't guarantee that this would work differently. It also won't work if you're on a C-5 or earlier, even though it will let you install the app.

It’s been awhile since I used the driver version of the updater, but I’m not sure it works correctly with a securely paired device such as a lock. I believe I had to pair without security to do updates to my Aeotec devices, and, certainly, the Alfred lock would normally be securely paired.

Bryan Copeland (@bcopeland), who wrote the driver, would know. I don’t believe he has been maintaining the driver version since he joined Hubitat staff and wrote the built-in app version that only works on the C-7.

@bertabcd1234 I'm running it now with the 8080, it's been at 0 for about 20 mins. and still at 0. I'll let it run overnight.

I'm also on C5.

@672southmain If this doesn't work with HE, I will see what Alfred can do.

If that doesn’t work, try an abort, clean shutdown, move the hub and lock close to each other, try again.

I had instances where the hub needed to be rebooted before the firmware updater driver would work.

It looks like you are doing everything correctly.

I have another C5 hub I use for testing, so I have that next to the lock and I paired the lock, install the driver and upload the firmware to the file manager and started the process over again. I turned off the battery saving mode in Alfred to allow the app and the door to always communicate which will keep it from going to sleep, but that didn't work either.

I sent Alfred an email to see if there's a way to get this firmware updated outside of Hubitat, so I will see what they say, but if the answer is NO, is there anything else I can do other than getting a C7 just to update a firmware?

Well, there is. Get a Z-Wave USB stick, use PC Controller, which is a part of SiLabs free Simplicity Studio. PC Controller can update OTA firmware very quickly.

1 Like

Oh wow, Thank you! I will surely look into this as well.