Z-Wave Device That Senses Power On

I am looking for a z-wave devise that senses when power is sent to it, I can then use that state to trigger something in rule machine. I was thinking I could use an Aeotec relay and feed power into the switch terminal.

I am curious if there is a more elegant solution you guys are using.

Most people seem to use a ZigBee Contact Switch that opens or closes when power is lost (thus you could know the opposite when power comes on). Using a Z-Wave replacement for the contact switch should be an easy substitute.

Here is a thread about that type of thing:

Are you trying to detect a power loss for your house or whether something else is powered on? There might be easier ways of doing this rather than trying to measure the energized 120VAC or 240VAC circuit.

I am trying to allow commands sent through our dumb swimming pool system to trigger events in Hubitat

Example: a button is pushed on the spa remote which powers on a relay which is built into the pool controller. I want to sense when this relay is closed so that I can trigger the garden lights in Hubitat. I was thinking that if I allowed 120v to pass through this relay and then had a devise sensed that voltage ( or just turns on) I could trigger a rule to turn on the garden lights.

I really don’t care what the voltage is, I just want something that Hubitat can recognize as “on” when power is present so I can use that condition in rule machine

Can you just use a current sensor on the pump? There's several zwave options, depending on its current requirements. Zooz has a 15amp option.

Otherwise maybe there's a 120v A2D. The monolite is only 16v :frowning:

Anything around water and electricity makes me nervous. Wouldn't it be just as easy to control the lights with an Alexa or Google Assistant device? Or even button controller, like a Pico? Much safer than screwing around with the electricity on your spa.

1 Like

The spa remote is a 5v DC system which is part of the pool system, it sends commands to a PCB which is part of the pool controller. The pool controller converts the 5v signals from the remote and triggers relays which are housed in the pool equipment panel. No need to worry there is no electricity anywhere near the spa or pool.

I figured out how to do make this work over the weekend using the Aeotec relay. I’ll share the circuit diagrams in a couple days once I get a chance to finalize this in Visio. I imagine this should be really helpful to anyone with a Pentair Pool System that wants to control features via Hubitat.

Thanks again to everyone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.