Z Wave Device has disappeared

Background: This morning a Z-Wave Dimmer that was paired with my C-7 a long time ago (months) did not respond - no program changes related to this device have occurred recently.

Investigation: The device had completely disappeared from my Device page, Z-Wave page, and Rules were broken. Device is 24(Hex)/36(Dec)

Troubleshooting: Did several restarts and shutdown/wait 10 min/reboot. Restored a backup from 2 days ago (yesterday's did not work) and the device is back on Device list, Rules fixed, but the device does not appear on my Z-Wave Details page (it does appear if I look in PC Controller) [Maybe not, see edit below].

Seems odd that it's working and is a device, but not acknowledged by the Z-Wave details.

Any thoughts?

Z-Wave Details:

Device Page:

Device Details:

PC Controller:

What firmware version are you running?

How do you get your Hubitat Network to Appear in PC Controller?
Asking for a friend! LoL

Ok, only thing I can suggest is to reboot (not reset) the Z-Wave Radio. The only way to do this is to do a clean shutdown to red light (settings, shutdown), power off at the wall plug (not at the micro USB connector, which is fragile and can break the solder joints to the PC board), power back on after 30 seconds.

I see that you did shutdown for 10 min, but not after you did the database restore.

This is odd, I have never seen it.

How do you get your Hubitat Network to Appear in PC Controller?
Asking for a friend! LoL

Put Hubitat into Inclusion mode and then click "Select Learn Mode -> NWI" in PC Controller, it should just show up.

2 Likes

Ok, only thing I can suggest is to reboot (not reset) the Z-Wave Radio. The only way to do this is to do a clean shutdown to red light (settings, shutdown), power off at the wall plug (not at the micro USB connector, which is fragile and can break the solder joints to the PC board), power back on after 30 seconds.

I think maybe I had tried this before but to be sure I just tried again and it had no impact.

OK, one more piece/addendum to the puzzle: I removed my Z-Stick from the C-7 and then re-paired it and now PC Controller also doesn't show the dimmer, so maybe it was just an unrefreshed older view. So now the Dimmer doesn't show up on any Z-Wave details anywhere, but it is on the device page and does work.

Tagging @bcopeland. I have no idea what is going on, but it appears as if the radio database is corrupt?

1 Like

Incidentally, I ended up just doing a factory reset on the device (I couldn't seem to exclude it given the situation) and re-included it and everything is normal again. Still very curious what happened in the first place though.

My first Z-Wave "hub" was the Ring alarm which I used for about a year for a few switches before getting my C-7 and moving everything over to it save for my smoke detectors and a couple other alarm-related items. I'm oftentimes puzzled/annoyed at how unbelievably easy the include/exclude process was with Ring (it seemed to always just work regardless of distance to the hub or other factors) whereas with the C-7 it rarely "just works," even with the newest FW updates - either the security pop up doesn't come, it just doesn't see the device etc. etc. There still seems to be a lot of room for improvement in this area.