Z-wave 3-way smart switch setup

Hello, z wave newbie here, but long-time (recently former) Insteon user. I see this topic has come up many times, but I can't seem to find an answer to what I want to do.

My setup: two Ultrapro (Jasco/GE) dimmers at two locations.

My goal:
Single tap on: brightness set to 60%, 2 sec ramp
Single tap off: light off, 2 sec ramp
Double tap on: brightness set to 100%, no ramp
Double tap off: light off, no ramp

My wiring:
currently: switch 1 has both line and load (wired like a single-pole), switch 2 just wired in box (no load)
alternative wiring: I can run travelers between them, set up a like a traditional 3-way

What HE integration to I choose to accomplish what I want here? A simple scene didn't work (switch 2 actions do nothing to control the load).

Please help! I wanted this set up because I want to dim as I stated from both ends.
Thanks in advance.

I think your main problem with switch #1 is that on the Jasco stuff, you can't divorce the physical button from the electronics. When you press the upper part of the paddle, the switch is going to come on, and not necessarily to 60 percent every time. (Double tap is different, just speaking to one press)

You really need a separate device that can handle the dimming aspect and the switch then becomes a button. There are dimmer modules or use (I hate to even say this) a smart bulb to accomplish this IF you don't want to use something like motion or just switch #2 to trigger from.

The double tap part is easy, as well as switch #2 with the way it is currently wired. It simply becomes a button. You will probably want to use Button Controller or maybe even Basic Rule to do what you want to do.

You also may want to try a community driver to make this work better, the JasonJoel drivers are excellent for use with these Jasco products. (This should take you to a search where you can find your exact model or switch type) Search results for 'jasco driver @JasonJoel ' - Hubitat

It's a chandelier so I'm not going to install a bunch of smart bulbs (too expensive, and they probably don't even have my bulb size). And it's a 20 ft in the ceiling so I'm not going to install a dimmer module either. I used to be able to do this with my Insteon dimmers easily.

It should be easy to have a remote dimmer control the dim level of a remote load. The button app seems like a clunky way to do this. Is there really no better way?

Do you recommend another paddle dimmer device that can do what I want? I can return these.

Okay, I am halfway there by using a group and button controllers. I am able to set the push of each button correctly, although it takes an unacceptably long time (~2 sec) for the remote dimmer to turn on the load. I can't yet get the button hold to work correctly. I tried programming button hold and button release, but no luck. Any further tips to make the load dim on faster or program hold? Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Edit: should I just revert these to traditional 3-way wiring? Right now I have switch 1 wired as a single pole and switch 2 wired with just line and neutral (no load). The dimmers have travelers as options for wiring.

I know that some of the Zooz switches can have the button separate from the control circuitry. Not sure about others.

@SmartHomePrimer or @bertabcd1234 or @rlithgow1 any ideas for this user?

Sell your Insteon Hub or PLM quickly if you have no intention of ever using it again. There’s so much panic right now that you’ll get an insanely high price for it. If you wait too long to sell it, prices will normalize. You can likely pay for a significant part of your Z-Wave investment.

For detaching the load from the switch, Inovelli Red series was a nice switch, but the company nearly went belly up with the supply chain and internal issues. That’s not a problem really if you’re an owner, unless you’re looking for support from them. I tend not to lean on smart home manufacturers for support too much. It’s a very tough market to be in, especially with the current challenges. I almost always consider and even pre-build my contingency plan so if they are not there tomorrow, I’m largely unaffected.

Pick what can be local, and isn’t proprietary. Now having said that, Insteon now looks like a bad choice to most, but I’m still using mine locally and will continue to, because I know the technology to be reliable and well constructed (and I have spare Insteon hubs :grin: and know how to repair the most common issue with them). Another exception is Lutron. Very good devices and a stable company, but you need to be into the RA2 line to get the type of features we’re used to from Insteon or the higher end Z-Wave switches and dimmers.

I haven’t really been following what’s going on with Inovelli, but I know they’re still plugging along and trying to get another series to market, since they’re not able to get the components needed to build more Red series devices right now. It is a very tough time for all electronics manufacturers, and changing your smart switch type comes with certain risks. If I were to switch from Insteon, for which I personally have no valid reason to do so, then it would only be to Lutron RA2. Anything else would be a compromise for me due to cost concerns.

2 Likes

Hmm I think I've still got this stuff in a box somewhere. Lol that they may be valuable never crossed my mind..

1 Like

Cash in my friend!

@Laplacian Another consideration is to split between actual dimmers and Lutron Pico remotes. This what I did for the house I sold with all Lutron, and in my new home the lights that require a physical dimmer are Insteon, whereas the fixtures that don’t require a physical dimmer use Hue bulbs. Wherever I needed a 3-way, I converted the wiring if it was an existing 3-way or 4-way, and substituted a Pico for the other switch, or just added a Pico if it wasn’t a 3-way or 4-way, but I wanted it to be one.

More about that setup here.

1 Like