Your worst home automation purchase?

I went from Wink original to SmartThings... my expectations were only slightly more realistic than yours.

3 Likes

I got lucky :slight_smile:
Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 11.45.24 AM

1 Like

Sounds like we have similar experiences. Unfortunately, that still isn't the gold medal for me (though it was definitely worthless). It's hard to say, but I'm thinking Lockitron v2, which a couple times locked/jammed me out of my own home. (This was the crowdfunded model from 2012 or so that shipped over a year later.) It's similar in concept to something like Kevo Convert, except instead of replacing the interior portion, it sat on top of it--like a SwitchMate or maybe that ThirdReality product that does the same for light switches. To top that all off, it was a battery-powered Wi-Fi (and Bluetooth) device, so you can guess how long those batteries lasted (hint: not as long as they thought).

I'm guessing there's a good reason they scrapped most of these ideas for the v3. :slight_smile: (And now they're part of MyQ; I will leave it as an exercise to the reader to judge whether that is good or bad. Ha.)

2 Likes

My wife! :joy:

2 Likes

As bad as that deal was, it still is way better than the one your wife got .... (what's good for the goose etc.)

:joy:

4 Likes

For me, it was the TADO Air Conditioning controller, expensive, unreliable and clunky.

Aqara P3 air conditioning companion is way cheaper and much better alternative, it plugs directly in the AC outlet and it is always in synch even if you use the AC remote control, and it has Apple Homekit + Home Assistant integration. Aqara P3 also works like a zigbee v3 hub for Xioami and Aqara zigbee devices.

Wink Relays. Bought about 4 of them. Nearly impossible to mount correctly so they worked. Got them mostly for the intercom "feature" that never worked.

1 Like

I think the worst device I got, was several smartthings presence devices, a lot wast of time and effort, never worked fine, I reuse them to make air freshener triggers, at least worked for something.

1 Like

I've got a few of those I use with combined presence and they work well...

2 Likes

Can't say I have had too many issues with the Sengled Colour bulbs either, there are the occasional failures to react to a rule running but they stay connect to zigbee rather well.
I would give you the model but not at home ATT.

I have a love/hate relationship with my WEMO plugs, dimmers, and switches. They have become more of a pain over time. Google Home is a major, torturous peice of demon phlegm. More so with WEMO integration via Hubitat.

Wemo Connect app has been mostly rock solid except when WEMO messes with the API or device functions.

Anything with "Wink" in the name.

3 Likes