Your most rube goldberg automation (seems pointless but isn't)

A lot of times you can unscrew the twist switches knob

A few years ago, I saw a photo of an outdoor pool shower. It was just a chrome plated 'spike in the grass' type, but it was able to make me say, I want an outdoor pool shower... But mine had to be heated. So I found a beautiful chrome shower head... it's 12" x 8" and only 2mm thick, stainless. Perfect for round the year outdoor.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 10.27.44 PM Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 10.05.52 PM

Then I found an outdoor safe tankless water heater, 240ac 30+ amps, able to raise the water by 35 degrees.

A regular sprinkler valve and a 24ac wall wart completed the 'special' parts list.

The Wall wart plugs into a ZWave in-wall outlet and turning it on opens the sprinkler valve and the water goes through the heater, up over head and to the shower head. The shower head is very light and so a simple copper pipe extended 4ft out over the lawn supports it, rain or shine. It's about 7ft off the ground and the water drops straight down, not much spread. I like it a lot more than the original inspiration. :slight_smile:

There's a lot of automation around preventing the water from running for hours. I have a dead-man timer running that turns the outlet off every 20 mins, 'round the clock. I have a Virtual switch that Enables the primary button, which lets the water run for a max of 20 seconds. And there's another button that will turn it off on pressing, should I see it run when it shouldn't. A lot of redundancy, but I've only ever had it be on when it shouldn't 2-3 times in 3 years. Everything that turns it on is battery powered so an inconvenient battery death can cost $ in electricity and water. Again, the redundancy helps because not every battery dies on the same day.

Step on the bamboo grate, or push a giant green button (wired into an EcoLink contact sensor,) or push-and-hold a Hank single ZWave button and the Z-Wave outlet turns on for 20 seconds. The tap water is heated and everyone gets a nice rinse. :smiley:

Button tells Hubitat which tells the Outlet which energizes the Solenoid to release the water that hits the flow valve in the heater to spray warm water for 20 seconds..

That's my Rube Goldburg offering :smiley:

2 Likes

I love it. When I move to Florida one day I'll take inspiration from this