Yet another ceiling fan thread

Z-Wave and Pico is one I've been considering for when I care about ceiling fans again. I've abandoned the idea of the iFan02 controller. They turned into Halloween display controllers :smiley:

I don't particularly want the Z-Wave switches in my wall, so I think the Pico on my wall and maybe the Z-Wave switch tucked away in the canopy (if it'll fit), with smart bulbs for the lighting is looking like a decent option. I won't do the Hampton Bay Zigbee. Sounds like a pain in the neck.

I (personally) would stay away from a smart bulb because they never seem to have the same bulb socket. In other words, I would like a more cookie cutter approach. Independent of the fan du jour, I'd buy and wire them up the same. I have 3 that use candelabra base for the light(s) (each takes two) and others that have 3 "exposed" bulbs.

The Picos are nice and I would have went this route if I had not already have invested too much into Z-Wave plus dimmers. Basically my entire house has been converted to Leviton Z-Wave plus dimmers at this point, so while there would be some use cases for the Pico's it would be minimal and then buying a Lutron bridge would probably be overkill. I really do not even need additional 3-ways to justify more Pico's, I use mostly all motion lighting at this point.

I was also trying to avoid having to remove the existing 1 gang box and install a 2 gang.

I think that's the point I was trying to make... the Pico is flush mount. No hole in the wall. No need to replace a 1 gang with a 2 gang. I just use Command sticky tape to mount the Pico adapter.

Not that bright, but you have TrΓ₯dfri bulbs with that base, and they're inexpensive (but only 400 lm). Also, when you have the room and it's not exposed, don't forget about the myriad of socket adapters you can get from China. I have one in the the lamp right next to me converting an E26 socket to a E12 .
I also ordered some E26 to GU10 adapters.

True but then I would still need to buy the bridge, which I probably would use for mostly fan control at the moment. I have 2 rooms that have the dual dimmer/fan speed combo's and the other two are just a single on/off wall switch, these are fan/light combos.

These are all bedrooms also, no fans in other parts of the house.

Adapters!! :slight_smile:
I just went and googled ceiling fans and there's every conceivable bulb in use. I can't imagine my wife letting me restrict the fan by what type of smart bulb is available :frowning:

The Qubino is a better answer for ME... coupled to ANY bulb.

Oh @raidflex you haven't lived if you haven't stuck a Pico to the middle of your headboard. 10 virtual buttons right there, inches from your sleepy head. :smiley: :smiley: (Joking in case it wasn't obvious.)

1 Like

Anything dimmable has to be smart or incandescent for me now. I'm done with trying to match bulbs to dimmers and avoid high pitched ringing, buzzing or flickering.

I'm also the type that with modify the fan socket to suite me if they don't offer what I need. If it's not feasible, well there are just too many ceiling fans out there for me to get hung up on a specific brand or model.

No, I know there are a lot of uses. I did like the setup that @mike.maxwell uses with the Aeon micro's and Pico's mounted to all the switch boxes. Aside from if the hub goes down you cant use any lights lol.

I have no issues with flicker or buzzing with any of my Leviton Z-Wave dimmers. But I also only use good bulbs like Cree or Philips. I can also dim down to like 2%.

SmartBridge Pro was the second best investment I've made in my home automation. So many great possibilities and it's so fast.

1 Like

If you don't think that's an incentive to do a good job over here, you'd be way wrong...

2 Likes

Some people cannot hear the ringing. I have tinnitus. Don't need or want any additional high-pitched ringing in my life. :wink:

Very true. I also got lucky that all my switch boxes either ended up having a neutral or a new fixture was install so my brother-in-law who is an electrician just added one at that point.

Did not have to open any walls either thankfully.

I have tried cheaper bulbs in the past and I did have the annoying buzzing. The Cree bulbs actually seem to work the best for my recessed lighting.

It might have been my dimmers. The ones I still use in certain locations are Insteon, and while very good quality, they're more suited to halogen or tungsten incandescent bulbs, but I wasn't going to reinvest in dimmer switches. I tried every brand of LED bulb I could find and only one made minimal noise, which was a specific Philips LED that is not longer made. By the time I had this tinnitus issue start, I had already tried a Cree Four-Flow, and then Hue bulbs and loved the absolute guaranteed silence of them, So I decided that was where I preferred to put my dollars. At first, I too was bothered by the fact that most smart bulbs couldn't dim as low or didn't have that orange glow at low levels, but we're now satisfied with a single Hue at it's lowest level, so that's what I do in those situations (i.e. middle of the night).

Has anyone tried one of the Hampton Bay knock-offs?

[link removed]

It doesn't look that that particular model supports Zigbee communications.

I don't think any but the Hampton Bay Wink controller have Zigbee. It's sounds to problematic in itself, I can't imagine wanting to mess with a knock-off. I'm not certain why any of these manufacturers don't offer a Z-Wave canopy mount controller. I'd buy that.