Yale locks not working, random connecting issues, slowness.. confusion [resolved, used zigbee module]

I have 2 yale locks - an older Z-Wave YRD240-ZW-619 and a newer YRD256-ZW2-619 that I bought because I couldn't get the older one to pair at first.

The short version is after many iterations/configurations/re-pairings - both locks are paired. I can sometimes unlock the locks but there is a huge delay. The HE is about 10 ft away from the door lock (which is the old one) with no obstructions. The new one is not mounted anywhere but is about 8 ft away. I am getting very sporadic responses. I will click on unlock and nothing happens but later sometimes it does. Sometimes I click and it unlocks immediately. I set the autolock because I was unable to directly lock after unlocking. This seems to help with the responsiveness but not sure.

Originally had my HE upstairs in a central closet but have relocated it to my basement where the locks reside to be closer. Pairing was also festive - sometimes it would work partially and other times it would fail or not recognize the device at all. Multiple times finally got both of them paired.

I also cannot seem to delete lock codes on the new one - if I set encryption off I can see them but delete does nothing. There seems to be a delay or timing issue with regard to the yale lock on HE after a lock action on either lock but I cannot tell exactly what/where it is.

I have reached out to support and they suggested it might be out of range which I resolved. Both locks are exhibiting similar behavior which makes me think it's not a hardware issue with a particular lock. The old one was working fine. The new one could have an issue I guess.

I also tried putting repeaters around (I have 2 IRIS and one GE Dimmer with mains) but no go.

May run a repair tonight and see if things settle down tomorrow otherwise not sure where to go or what to do next. This last bit is the final part of my migration away from ST.

1 Like

I have YDR256 and I have none of these issues. Something is either wrong with your Z-Wave network, or you have somehow received two faulty locks. Have you tried excluding and then factory reset, then re-join again?

I have mine about 10 feet away from the hub and there is a flight of stairs in the signal path. Absolutely no issue joining the lock. Originally bought this lock with the intention not to keep it. I just wanted a Z-Wave lock to play with pairing and simulating a dead hub as a learning exercise.

As a learning tool, it wasn't very successful because I cannot make this lock misbehave. It's joins and excludes with ease. Not only that, but my family liked the lock so much, they asked me to keep it, but my wife wanted a different finish. So this is actually my second YRD256. Joining and programming the second lock was no different from the first. Just works.

Wondering about an issue with a repeater. How about exclude, factory reset, unplug the IRIS, kill power to the GE dimmer (I've heard some models don't shut off their Z-Wave radio if you just air-gap). After successful joining (optimistically assuming that's the issue) run some tests with the lock, save a code and delete it for a test. Then restore power to the repeaters and see if the lock still performs correctly.

1 Like

Will check that out thanks! Already have done lots of futzing - beginning to lose track. The repeaters were added on suggestion by support - will remove those for giggles. I had the behavior previously but it could have been due to the distance between the lock and the HE. The old one would not pair for the longest time until I brought the HE down. And then it only popped up just recently - it's what I'm going with for now. It's possible the YRD256 lock is bad but will keep an eye out.

Another thought is a malfunctioning Z-Wave device somewhere in the chain..

E.

1 Like

This is highly possible. I'm not a Z-Wave guy. Only two Z-Wave device on my hub and neither is a repeater. Hard for me to have a bad Z-Wave device and not be able to figure it out. :wink:

This really stood out to me because of issues I've recently (actually always) had. I had some devices that my pairing went just like you describe. In the end they left some ghost devices that caused me LOTS of zwave weirdness.

I'm NOT saying that's your issue...but worth checking out:

1 Like

Thank you will do!

Just to report back -

My old Yale seems to be working so turned my attention to the new one.

Did a factory reset on the new Yale (took several tries to get it right) and was able to pair but the first time didn't take - nothing worked no current status etc as usual. Tried excluding using HE and it worked. Normally exclusion fails and I have to force remove and then exclude via Aoetec stick. Note: my understanding is the HE staff does not recommend this as ghost devices can occur. Paired lock again and this time it worked!!! Proper current states like lock state were displayed. Was able to lock/unlock/program etc. Seems pretty snappy all things considered so hope all is well [fingers crossed!]..

Factory Reset was the only difference. I think it's been mentioned before but I wanted to report it worked for me.

2 Likes

Was that with the IRIS plugs in place?

They are still in place - haven't taken them down yet but I might. Was experiencing the issue before they were there and was taking advice of support to maybe add a repeater or two. Also relocated the HE from a first floor central closet to an area on one of the exposed rafters of the basement - still central but more direct line of sight to the lock.

My new Yale seems to be functioning well so far. Just added timeout rule that locks door after being closed (I have a recessed door sensor) for a bit. Also added a rule to notify me when the door is unlocked by a particular code.

1 Like

I have noticed some of my devices now every once in a while do not respond but then work immediately afterward if triggered again. Could the Iris stuff be doing that?

You mean only Z-Wave devices act that way or did you pair the Zigbee side of those outlets too?

I paired both of course! :grin:

It happened to a zigbee bulb and a z-wave switch so not sure there.
My current guess is maybe both networks had to stabilize a bit after I moved the HE.

1 Like

@erktrek how is the newer Yale holding up for you?

Wife scheduled for our front door to be replaced, so itโ€™s the perfect time to go lock hunting. :blush:

So far so good! No issues to report. Unless you are experiencing any Zigbee weirdness (I am not) with your hub I say go for it!

Also consider the Aeotec recessed door sensors.. they've been working well for me. You do have to change the batteries periodically though.. but not too bad.

1 Like

Thanks. The boss lady would prefer a lever type lock, I saw they have a model that looks to be the same version. Still need to get her signed on to the idea.

I think I want to go with te Z-wave version, but good to know about the Zigbee one.

I currently only have a Iris door sensor that needs a home. Iโ€™ll look at the Aeotec ones though.

I hear you! WAF is THE most important thing!

I am (or maybe was) not really a fan of the actual key locks on these devices which is why I went with pad only style. I think that's probably changed a bit now. Also am not using for my front door - it's a side basement door.

For locks, I would go zigbee. They seem to work more consistently.

2 Likes

I have to agree with @JasonJoelOld based on my experience. Yale and some others do have swappable modules so you could start out with one type and if an issue switch to the other like I did.

1 Like

Thank you both, just something about Zigbee working on 2.4ghz that rubs me the wrong way, although I have been stocking up on more Zigbee lately.

Iโ€™ll look around more and start a new thread, sorta derailed this one. :expressionless:

I'm using a Yale Zigbee and it's been 100% reliable on ST and HE from the get go. I had massive Zwave problems at one point outlined in the post below...but I've never had zigbee as it seems better at fixing itself. I will say my zwave is way better than before..but it sort of pushed me towards zigbee.