Yale Assure Z-Wave: geolocation and/or HomeKit + rambling

I have a six or so year old Yale Assure lock with the Z-Wave module. It’s currently running through SmartThings.

I’m considering adding Hubitat to my chain largely in place of Home Assistant, which has proven a bit much for my caveman brain.

The main attraction that would justify the cost and work is to get that lock out of SmartThings. It’s the last device that requires it. The feature I find handiest is that it will lock/unlock based on my phone’s location relative to the house.

If this can be done via Hubitat then that along with HomeKit support and WebCore (meaning I can retire my SmartThings Hub), no longer needing a Nabu Casa subscription, and maybe being able to ditch the IKEA hub… would streamline and improve things enough that this is a no brainer purchase — even if initially adding my devices to Hubitat appears labor intensive.

You may be interested in this support thread then:

I'd be very interested in the geofencing solution you're using now that works for you.
Phone maker, model, OS, version, phone app that monitors the geofence, and hub that tracks it. Just another data point to find a reliable solution. Thanks.

1 Like

@user3805 Geofencing in homekit is very accurate. That said, To bring that lock into homekit you will want to use virtual switches to unlock/lock it. Very simple to do.

3 Likes

I’ve been using SmartThings for it for about five years. The last year or so it’s gotten wonky. Luckily, being a “belt and suspenders” person I also have a door sensor that locks the door behind me (and confirms by text) when I leave, so I’m not worried about security.

I’d say about half the time the geofencing works — but never when coming home with bulky or heavy things. Of course.

I’m not certain whether or it’s the lock or SmartThings but I don’t want to buy a new lock for another year or so with new standards upon us. The lock offers a HomeKit module option but it costs close to a Hubitat and the Hubitat both has more functionality and less impending obsolescence for the money.

It sounds like a virtual switch will accomplish what I want… so now I just need to figure out whether I have to reset some 100+ mostly Zigbee devices to get them into Hubitat. That seems unclear. If so, this isn’t a solution. Fingers crossed!

Thank you! In the time since I posted that’s what I’ve learned while scouring. It helps to have you confirm it here.

Now I just need to know if I have to reset my existing Zigbee devices to get them into Hubitat. The tutorials suggest it’s the case. Unfortunately, with 100+ devices, that would wreck devices and automations/routInes already in HomeKit and in Alexa.

First world problems.

This topic was automatically closed 360 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.