Xiaomi question

Most of the houses in southern Europe are all built with concrete walls inside so yeah we have more issues with signal propagation.

1 Like

I just ordered 3 of the ikea tradfri outlets. Really want to play with them. Reading news that Xiaomi just added support for the tradfri stuff to their app in the google play store is very promising. I have over 50 xiaomi devices and just want to add another router to help with the mesh upstairs.

My only other suggestion, after adding them and the routers, if you still have issues with anything dropping, adjust your wifi and zigbee channels so they don't overlap.

You don't need an xbee. It only lets you see the mapping of the mesh network. It was more of a fun project to ensure things were doing what I wanted them too. Was more valuable back when these things were giving us problems. Now, the xbee is just a more expensive router.

This is also a great suggestion. In my case with 82 wifi signals the noise levels were high in every single channel.
I do not know if it strenght the mesh or not but afraid how other networks could affect the my zigbee I used an out of this world technique. I created an empty Wifi Guest Network on the Orbi system (that is hidden with very strong password, with no devices connected to it) on the same channel as the zigbee network. My hope was that as the new network will creare a signal umbrella it dissipates the other noise and allows more bandwidth to the zigbee.

I probably made it worse. But has worked flawless and extremely fast with ST (less than a sec delay between motion and lights up). So keeping it for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good point. My APs are on Channels 1 and 11 now, my zigbee is on 20. Depending on the interference from neighbors, maybe I should move zigbee to 17 or 18... Or move my AP from 1 to 6, or 11 to 6, and stick zigbee on the unused chunk (11 or 24).

I have an eero setup which I believe runs on channel 1. I saw the most significant increase in reliability when I changed my zigbee channel to 23. If you go any higher you may experience issues as well. I believe a number of zigbee devices have issues connecting on channel 25/26

You will also hav eot give it time to repair itself and rebuild the mesh after the change too.

If at one point you are considering a batterey back up Xiaomi repeater, take a look at my project.

It is a environment sensor (temperature, humidity, pressure and light) with a twist. It is DC powered so it can be a repeater to Xiaomi devices. It is battery backed up so that in the case of power failure the Xiaomi devices have much better chance staying with the repeater rather than looking for a new parent wihch may not be compatible. I forget to mentioned that the Zigbee Radio has extended range amplifier.

Thanks
Iman

The humidity sensor, I read it includes reading for humidity, temperature and air pressure? Could you confirm this and it works on HE?

Thanks!

It has all 3. I use temp and humidity. Reports air pressure but never use it.

1 Like

Try it out with 3 Trådfri outlets and see how it goes. My guess is you're going to need double the amount of repeaters for a home that large. They're signal is much weaker than an Xbee. The good thing is they're so inexpensive and readily available. Not like ordering more Xiaomi devices and having to wait between 2 weeks to a month to get them.

1 Like

If you buy the Aqara version they do.
The original version only has temp and humidity.

1 Like

those things are in $16 US shipping included!

Thanks

9.49€ from Aliexpresa with free shipping. Took them 2 weeks to arrive.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c75HtHW

1 Like

I ordered from GearBest... $9.99, but from China.

I ordered one a few weeks back. Works great. Just need the time to install an Insteon Mico ON/OFF module and this will work in concert with my existing fan timer. So if someone doesn't turn the fan on and the humidity rises above the household average, it will turn on automatically. Yet if they simply want to press the timer, it will still turn same as everyone is already used to.

1 Like

This is exactly what I want to do.

I plan to use either @Cobra 's Super Smart Fan or @napalmcsr 's Smart Humidity Fan, or RM. Not sure which yet. I think Smart Humidity Fan looks for upper and lower limits for ON and OFF, but I want a set level rise above average Humidity and then a timed cycle to OFF which is what Andy's does.

1 Like

Smart Humidity Fan looks for a set table increase in humidity between readings and turns the fan on. It turns the fan off when the humidity goes below a set table threshold between the starting humidity and the highest humidity since the Fan was on.
It can also turn the fan on if the humidity goes above a certain level.

1 Like

I got my Aqara humidity sensors today, paired, 2 hours later..... no response.....

So, any other suggestions for humidity sensors?

Because I will not change my whole setup because those Aqara are junk.

Thanks.

I'm moving 30 Xiaomi sensors this weekend. They have been Rock solid in ST.
Lets see how they perform in HE.

I might risk that the problems might not be the sensors.
At least I hope not

Do you have Iris plugs on your setup with the Xiaomis?

I can believe my mesh has been perfect but now with those Xiaomis doesn't work...