Xiaomi & Aqara Devices - Pairing & Keeping them connected

You are correct in being hesitant. I made the mistake and had to re-paint a bathroom. I use the 3M Command strips now. Its an added expense but between the money saved buying Xiaomi and not having to sand and re-paint, its worth it.

1 Like

I use the 3m tape as well.
Very good for light strip as well

1 Like

As wimpy as the double sided tape on these devices are, I would be surprised if you couldn't heat it up with a blow dryer or heat gun and get it off cleanly.

But that being said 3M command strips are also a good option, I've had very good luck with those not taking paint off when being removed. Although on some cheap chalky paint I have seen them leave a mark or discoloration.

1 Like

I have been using hot glue in some applications and it works great.

3M Command strips. Buy in bulk on Amazon for best prices.

Pro-tip: get the smallest size, and then cut them in half vertically to double the number of strip pairs that can be used:

17024es-command-small-poster-strips

Also: trim the "pull tab" for a near appearance if needed, all that is needed is enough to grab and gently pull down for removal from wall.

4 Likes

I bought some of this stuff to trim down. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems very similar to the stuff that Flic buttons use. Very sticky and washable so you can use it again and again.

I've used that Suction Cup Buddy product on actual suction cups that wouldn't stay attached to tile, and it's amazing. Has never once come off the tile since installing it.

Hmm, I thought this thread was about the radio connection, not the physical connection to the house :grinning:

True, but connected just the same. Besides, when I saw the OP divert the topic, that to me was the signal that it was OK to join in. :grinning:

Well, looking at how off-the-rails the Xiaomi / Aqara driver thread has gone recently, I've pretty much given up on staying on topic! :rofl:

But sure, I can change the thread title to "Xiaomi devices - are they pairing / saying connected / mounted on the wall for you?" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The amount of enjoyement I'm getting out of hubitat & this community is worth way more than a lousy 100 bucks. This has got to absolutely be the best 100 I even spent

3 Likes

i am new with hubitat and setting up things. I have few aqara contact sensors which are working excellent. 1 temp sensor also working very well. 1 aqara motion sensor ( placed near temp sensor ) does not report activity ( reported last activity about 12 hours ago). I can still see this in devices.
Please help

@drnouman
your sensor has lost connection you will likely need a compatible repeater device such as an ikea repeater or an Xbee3
read the first post in this thread for compatible devices
If you have incompatible devices they may route through them and cause the aqara sensor to lose connection.

i have aqara temp sensor very next to motion sensor and that is sending normal. Is there any difference between signal reception of sensors

It really isn't a good indicator that you have a strong enough signal if one device stays connected and the other drops. Eventually the temp sensor will drop too if the signal is inadequate.

Adding a Trådfri Outlet or XBee3 as @NoWon suggests will keep the Zigbee mesh stable for the Xiaomi and other devices. Both are Zigbee 3.0, so you will have a good result. If it's far, get a few Trådfri Outlets or repeaters. They're no where near as strong as the XBee, but still, two cover my small home so they're not horribly weak.

Thanks

1 Like

Will do this.
Are you guys removing the existing round double sided tape before putting these?

I am cut small pieces of velco strips makes it easier to take off and adjust later.

1 Like

These work great holding sensors on my aluminum door and window frames.
Scotch Clear

2 Likes

That must be the material Flic is using. It's good stuff and I had read somewhere on their FAQ that it was 3M, but then couldn't find that later. Yeah, it's amazing stuff. I wonder if I can get it here in Canada? Thanks. I'll investigate further.

Anyone have the Original Xiaomi Motion sensor(without Lux/light reading) model RTCGQ01LM
staying connected? I joined one thru my Tradfri plug, and it keeps dropping. I have 2 of the newer ones RTCGQ11LM and those stay connected over several weeks now.
(The older sensor has a reset hole, versus a reset button on the newer one.)