[Deprecated] Xiaomi / Aqara ZigBee device drivers (possibly may no longer be maintained)

At this point it looks like an unfortunate bi-product of loads of changes in the platform, I've not had time to track it down from the driver side, I'm hoping that we will see more information in the community which will help pinpoint it. The errors that has been seen running this feature don't make sense since the limit complained about is for a type of call which doesn't happen inside that method except once. It is never repeated. The method itself is however repeated very frequently as part of the recovery process. I have some hope in sorting this out and making changes to make this possible again, even without truly knowing what in the platform screwed it up in the first place. Disabling it as I did was much about not wanting to add to all the current issues, there should be solutions down the road.

They did, they made a change that should help with that, it is not perfect, but they know that and will work on improving it when they have time.

5 Likes

@markus some more FYI. I installed 2.2.3.118 as soon as it became available. Also installed 2.2.3.119 pretty early as well. I have not experienced the errors encountered by @aaiyar. Because I have not had these errors I have held off on installing your updates. Maybe I'll see something that might help. Sure your recovery routines bash the event stack a bit but HE has never complained even with all the other normal events going on. Even if I try the insane mode on 2 devices at once. I don't believe the recovery mode is broke. More like there is something else generating a lot of events as well. The combination results in the error. If so, over time, the error should be intermittent. You should also see recovery's that don't result in errors. Ok I think I have rambled on enough. My hub is C5.

3 Likes

Thank you for chiming in on this :slight_smile: I agree, this is a combined issue caused by system problems. I have a possible fix that will just let my drivers back off if the system is experiencing these types of issues and only then disable the feature until the system is back to normal. I've not had time to write the fix yet though, but it will be there.

2 Likes

veeceeoh thank you for the temp/humidity driver I am in the process of moving from ST to HE and have a bunch of these sensors. The one thing I miss from the ST driver is the display as integer it make my smart panel cleaner. Any chance this could be added or is there something in the code I can change?

1 Like

As far as I understand it @veeceeoh is not supporting these drivers anymore or has been MIA for a period of time. That said @markus is supporting many Xiaomi Aqara devices over on this thread.

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Just a note for people reading this thread, his last log in was Feb 2020. I hope he is OK, but I think that these are possibly abandoned at this point. Hopefully he returns at some point, he made some valuable contributions here.

That is probably the way people should go at this point. As time goes on, Hubitat changes may, and probably will, cause issues with drivers that are not kept up to date. Markus has some excellent drivers, so I would encourage people to try those instead.

5 Likes

There's any intention from the Hubitat team to have these drivers built in? These aqara sensors are amazing, they are Compact, Nice Looking and Cheap.

1 Like

They have said "no" in the past. The devices have some quirks, particularly with respect to what Zigbee repeaters they play well with, and I imagine they would not want to claim these devices are "compatible" in light of all that (and the likely ensuing support nightmare). If you're looking for drivers that have been maintaned more recently, the ones by Markus at [Deprecated] Xiaomi / Aqara / Opple Drivers with Presence!, also mentioned above, are what I would look at.

If the first thing is news to you, then I'd also read this thread, or at least the first post. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Has anyone tested battery life for the temperature and humidity sensor? Mine is draining a little fast. 5 days since I started using it and battery is at 86%.

It should stabilise around there, they all drop really fast then stop.

I got about 9 months out of the batteries that shipped with the sensors. The replacements have been going for almost a year and a half. My sensors are in the bathrooms ( many temperature and humidity fluctuations).

2 Likes

Seconding other comments, I have two of those. One in a covered terrace and one on the north wall of the house, they have both worked almost flawlessly since installation. The one outside worked well for a couple of weeks then disappeared and had to be reset. That aligned with me getting an IKEA smart blind and plugging in the repeater close to that sensor fixed comms issues. Both their batteries depleted rather quickly and have been hovering around high 60s% for a long time now, it's been more than 6 months.

I've had great success with @markus drivers when I moved from these drivers.

I'm new to home automation, and my Hubitat hasn't even arrived yet. But it's on the way and I'm trying to buy the various devices that I want to pair with it now. Aqara devices are attractive due to their price. Also, I really like the buttons that they have. So I'm interested. I'm also aware of Hubitat's article stating that these devices aren't officially supported if paired directly to my Hubitat. (Although, from what I've gathered by the various different Aqara-related threads ,this one included...some reliable drivers are out there for these devices.) All that withstanding, there should be no problem if I buy the actual Aquara Hub and pair that hub with my Hubitat, right? I would then pair all of my Aqara devices to the Aqara hub (and use only Aqara or Ikea repeaters, if needed). This should be the most stable approach to utilizing Aqara devices, but still utilizing them in some Hubitat-driven scenes, right? Since I'm so new, I need to keep things simple while I learn to walk with home automation.

You should be fine but keep in mind you'll be creating dead zones in your Hubitat mesh around where you put those devices since they will be part of a different mesh with the Aqara hub and won't be contributing to the Hubitat mesh. Try to use a different channel so you don't create interference.

1 Like

Thanks! My initial plan is that Aqara will be my only zigbee devices. All others would be z-wave. So I'd have two separate meshes.

All Aqara devices (including the hub) are on Prime Day sale in the US right now. I think I'm going to take advantage.

If you add motion sensors, I'd recommend zigbee. The response time is about 3 times faster. Zigbee battery devices tend to last longer also.

Oh. Thanks for that tip. I wasn't aware and will keep that in mind.

You can pickup 10 of the Iris 3210-L2 Zwave Repeater/Zigbee Outlet devices for around $75 bucks for all of them also to help build out your mesh. The nice thing is they help strengthen both your zigbee and zwave meshes and at around $7.50 a device the price is hard to beat.

Zigbee locks also generally perform better. For almost everything else I'd go with Z-Wave.

1 Like