Xiaomi & Aqara Devices - Pairing & Keeping them connected

@markus and @aaiyar, thanks. Just wanted to ask why one near the hub, would the "further away" repeaters connect to this one before they connect directly with the hub or is this to do with number of devices the hub can handle directly?

Because the radio in the hub is not as powerful and sensitive as these repeaters. It will give many devices an alternative in terms of routing.

2 Likes

All my problems with my 22 Xiaomi sensors (motion, contact, button's and water) has disappears the moment I start using 5 ikea repeater/plugs.

2 Likes

However, be careful - if you add additional devices to that mesh that are not Xiaomi devices or Ikea Tradfri Repeaters (or plugs), you run the risk that some devices will fall off the mesh.
What's even more insidious is that it may not fall off right away - it may happen next week.

Taking @aaiyar advice, I have all my Xiaomi devices on a separate Hub, with only Tradfri Repeaters. None has fallen off in the last 8-10 weeks.

2 Likes

yes, I am aware, I have 1 light bulb extra that is only powerd occasionally, All my other devices are wifi (Shelly relays). I keep my fingers crossed for the mesh😃

Hi, can you explain what you mean by Routed them? I have an Aquara humidity sensor. It was working flawlessly for about 2 months then suddenly dropped off. Paired it again and it dropped off again within the day.

I found that mine would start acting up when the battery needed replacing. Try changing it and see what happens. Keep the old battery in case it doesn't make any difference.

1 Like

Just ordered some. Will try when they arrive.

Cheers,

Hi, I do not think Zigbee user (us) has a way to "explicitly" control the route of a device. This Xiaomi device is a sleepy device. It will route its packet through its parent. You can try to force it to be a child of a parent that it is compatible with. I think this is what @NoWon meant.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks. I am beginning to think it may be the battery as bobbles had mentioned earlier. The device was flawless for over 2 months and then all of a sudden stopped reporting.

Battery life with these devices is pretty good. I would be surprised if it has run too low after 2 months.
I only mentioned batteries as something to look at and it was why I suggested keeping the old one just in case that is not the issue.

The battery is a good idea to check. It is low hanging fruit troubleshooting steps in this case.

But, there is a fundamental issue with Xiaomi devices with the symptom that you are experiencing. The drop off is well documented when It routed through a repeater that is not compatible with it.

This is a long thread. I believe that there should be a mention similar to your experience where it work for a while and then drop. After you replace the battery, if this happen again keep in mind about the issue with incompatible parent.

3 Likes

It did show up with no battery tape though, meaning the batery was active for months and then was probably exposed to extreme temperatures in whatever shipping container it showed up in.

I'll check the parent routing situation as well.

Yes exactly

Also have you added any new zigbee devices, wifi devices or changed wifi settings lately that could cause interference and knock the devices offline?

Hello, no new devices added or changes made.

Wondering how I can see the Child/Parent relationship in Devices?

Just changed the batteries. When I went to re-pair the device it came up as 'Previously Discovered Device' so good sign so far. Didn't do that the last time.

Lets see how long it lasts.

EDIT. just to say that it has been 10 days and this device is still working. It may have been the batteries after all.

1 Like

Dear clever community!

So - I went ahead and bought the Aqara gateway (ZHWG11LM) which at the same time is a speaker and a 'color bulb'.

I want to use the speaker part as a siren to HSM.

I've tried to initiate pairing a couple of times - but it seems 'only' to want the Aqara native app. on my phone/Ipad - is there any way of connecting it to HE?

https://www.gearbest.com/access-control/pp_009984932110.html

If you are very lucky, it will work with @fison67's MiConnector app (you'll need an RPi or equivalent to get this to work):

Otherwise, if you have a Homekit setup, it may be possible to use homebridge and virtual devices to use it in Hubitat. I just started using Homekit/Homebridge, so I have no idea how to get this to work, but @SmartHomePrimer will know what to do (or if it is possible).

2 Likes

Aqara sirens in HomeKit can only be triggered by an Aqara device like a contact sensor or a motion sensor. I have a Xiaomi relay (Paired to HE) triggering a regular relay, and that closes contacts that then trigger a Xiaomi contact sensor. :crazy_face: Crazy, but it works.

3 Likes

I’ll go ahead and try the MiConnector app.

I also have a couple of Aqara window sensors and ‘buttons’ (the Zigbee ones) - these are all connected to HE. In fact I wanted one of the buttons to function as ‘doorbell’ when someone hits the button - and as a siren together triggered by HSM.

I’ll see when diving into the MiConnector ... will update thread

Thanks @aaiyar and @SmartHomePrimer...

1 Like