Xiaomi & Aqara Devices - Pairing & Keeping them connected

I have half a dozen of these (original round) and a Cube. After making sure that they were all joined to the network as child devices of one of @iharyadi's Environment Sensors (a Xiaomi friendly parent), they almost never have needed attention (been solid since last October, as I recall). Some I use daily, the rest maybe once or twice a week. Once in a while I may need to press the button twice for an action to trigger, but that's usually a sign that my hub needs to be restarted due to other issues.

Yes it's the one in the link you posted.

Sometimes when I don't press the button for some time, I also need to press the button two times (only works at the second time) but sometimes it stops working at all.

I also have an Original Motion Sensor and it works flawlessly, only the button seems to lose the connection. Nevertheless the button is further from the hub and maybe that's the cause of the issue

I have three of those. One is now connected to my Aqara hub, one I'm not using, and one is still connected to HE. I don't use it as much anymore since I have a Opple 6 button controller that I like better, but it always works when I try it.

Mine if very close to the hub (about 8 feet) and there is an IKEA Trådfri outlet about 2 feet from the button. You're in the EU, so you should be able to easily get the Trådfri outlets, They are Zigbee 3.0, inexpensive, and most importantly the Xiaomi devices are compatible with them and will choose them as a router.

You might also try just changing the battery. Xiaomi ships those with the battery enabled, so it might just be weak. However, it's possible you just didn't get a great one. Of the three, when I used to have all of them paired with HE, one would still fall off if I didn't use it often enough, just like you're describing. That one is what is now paired with the Aqara hub, which of course if never falls off and it's further away, in spot of my son's room that is normally a radio dead spot, with no repeaters. Xiaomi designs their stuff to work perfectly with their hub. What else can you say about it. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

If by that you mean Mijia motion sensor as well, then yes. They are for some reason in their (very different circuit design and firmware from device to device :roll_eyes:) quite solid when paired directly to HE. I have a Mijia motion sensor at my front door (has to transmit through double-brick layers) and one down in the basement (all kinds of metal ducts in the way of the signal path). Neither of them ever drops form the HE hub (but I do have IKEA Trådfri outlets and one Trådfri repeater to help route their signals to the hub).

The Aqara motion sensors were nothing but trouble on HE directly. Dropping every 1-3 months. The Aqara motion sensors are now all on the Aqara hub, where they are of course also solid as anything out there.

1 Like

How are you integrating the Aqara hub into HE?

2 Likes

Homebridge to expose virtual switches to HomeKit. HomeKit automations sync the virtual switches to real sensors. Works for everything except using the temp sensor values in comparison to another sensor. So that sensor is still directly paired (which, with carefully placed TRÅDFRI outlets, remains stable).

1 Like

Oh OK. I purchased a Mi Home hub and using Mi Connector and an RPi have managed to connect the Xiaomi/Aqara devices to my HE hub. The devices are paired to the Mi Home hub and I've not had any drop off with no repeaters required. Working very well.
I was just wondering how you were doing it in case I could cut out the middle man (RPi).

1 Like

Yeah, I was following that thread. Nice you and @Royski have that working so well. If I hadn’t already gotten it to work this way, and it wasn’t so stable, then I would probably find the hub you need and do what you did. It’s a nice alternative for non-iOS users.

But since I’m already in iOS user, and already had an Apple TV 4, this was a no brainer for me, once I saw how stable the MakerAPI version of Homebridge could be.

1 Like

As an update to this issue, I made a test where I moved my button to the same room of my Hubitat Hub. And I didn't use it in the last 3 days. Now I tested and it worked fine at first.
In the room that I use to have the button, it stopped working after 1 or 2 days.
So I guess this is a sign that I need a Zigbee repeater

Yes, but did you try putting in a fresh battery and putting it back in the original location? The Xiaomi sensors, as an example, that drop off the network are all on batteries. The ones that I’ve converted to be powered by a mains adapter do not drop.

It seems the Xiaomi sensors are more prone to dropping off a non-Xiaomi Zigbee network when their batteries hit around 50% capacity.

2 Likes

I have 15 Xiaomi & Aqara Devices (battery powered) + 4 Ikea plug/repeater, those are all my zigbee devices.
There is not one Xiaomi device directly connected on the Hubitat
I use WatchDog to monitor the sensors every hour.
All sensors are checking in each hour except 1 sensor.
This sensor is about 3 meters from an Ikea repeater.

Sometimes the sensor is checking in well for hours but suddenly there is no last checkin anymore BUT the sensor is still working well on the hubitat. (open/close)
Most of the time the problem is fixed automatically after a few hours (3-4-5)

I reseted the sensor, removed the battery, reinstalled it on the hubitat again but nothing is solving this last checkin issue

Has anyone a similar issue or solution?

The only solution I can offer is to get some less troublesome sensors like those, almost as cheap ones, from SmartThings.
I had two Xiaomi sensors (1 x door/window, 1 x Temperature) and they made trouble for me every week !
I replaced them with ST versions and have never touched them in 10 months !

3 Likes

replacing all sensors, rather drastic since I have 14 sensors that working well since +6 months...

Who said anything about replacing them ALL ??
Yeah man, if the others are working for you - just replace the one that is NOT !
Then see how you go. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Distance is not the only factor. RF waves have polarity. There is an electric field and a magnetic field. Often rotating either the sensor or the receiver can have a huge impact.
Also any metallic object in the way can disrupt the fields creating chaotic degradation of the fields and resulting in sub-harmonics.
Unfortunately, the plug router orientation is predetermined by the location of the power outlet. Thus I would try moving the sensor if possible. Otherwise you're probably out of luck.
I also find that each sensor should be able to 'see' at least two routers or they drop off for sure.
Also you may have luck with changing the zigbee channel.

2 Likes

This is probably mentioned somewhere above, but when I pair these direct to the hub, they are pretty stable. If I pair with repeaters in the system, they drop off constantly, often within a day. I also found that I shouldn't do a Zigbee "repair" by turning off the hub as the Xiaomi/Aquara then pair back to a repeater.Rebooting is OK, but after a few minutes with the hub off, the Aqara again go into discovery and pair to a repeater.

It is a pain as I have to unplug all my line powered Zigbee devices, pair the Aquara, then plug everything back in. But once I did this method, I haven't had any drop off the network.

1 Like

This is discussed a lot. The devices don't like a lot of the repeaters. You have to find repeaters that work well with them and get rind of anything else that could be repeating. I highly recommend the ikea repeaters. They really work well.

And if you get repeaters, make sure you get enough. I think the ratio is 6 devices to a repeater or something like that. There is a limit.

Directly connected gives no issues but there is also a limit to the number of devices that are directly connected (I think its 32 or around that) and your hub would also need to be within range of them all.

2 Likes

I don't have that many Aqara devices, so I haven't hit that 32 device cap so far. My house is not that large so I haven't had any range issues with direct connection to the hub.

I have the Iris combo Zigbee/Zwave outlet, and they apparently aren't good repeaters for Aqara. I also had the Peanut Plugs, and they seemed to cause more problems than they solved in general.

2 Likes

I'm not going to pretend to have any technical knowledge about what Shenzhen Green Rice Lianchuang Technology Co., Ltd did to make this work, but we can speculate about RF all day long, and I don't think it's much of anything to do with it. It's something to do with the way they have implemented Zigbee. When I pair Aqara or Mijia devices to the Aqara HomeKit Gateway, they DO NOT DROP. The guys that have the Mijia Gateways and MiConnector have the same experience.

I was looking into grabbing one of these to play with and then read that one hub can support up to 32 devices. Of course I'm probably the extreme case with the number of my devices, but I'm guessing I would have to go with multiple hubs (maybe 3 at this point) if I wanted to go this route.

That being said, I wonder if the good reliability with this hub is because it is using no repeaters (also would explain the limit). Repeaters were one of the main causes of issues. It might also have a stronger radio than HE as well so it probably covers the house better.