Xiaomi & Aqara Devices - Pairing & Keeping them connected

Im moving to iris v2s. If anyone in Australia wants my xiaomis for cheap they'll be up for grabs in a week. (13 of them)

Good info. They do not appear at all on the table. But the weird thing is I had three working great on the same setup with ST.

I tried same channel that st was on and a few others. Same repeaters as well. I've given up on these and looking forward to trying the iris V2. Got a bunch for 100 bucks aud not bad.

I'm sorry to hear the Xiaomi devices haven't worked out for you on Hubitat. That is really frustrating.

it's not your fault mate! no need to be sorry. but it has been annoying indeed. I feel good with the sentiment on the v2 iris ones so am excited to get it working right again.

Hi guys,
I'm new HE user and have 3 Aqara sensors for now and they work pretty great for me.
I have a plan to use Zigbee radio only for Xiaomi/Aqara and Tradfri (IKEA) devices, no other brands.
All the rest of system will be based on LAN, ewentually Z-Wave devices.
What do you guys think about that, will this configuration be stable in your opinion ?

I have two Ikea plugs, so last night I reset my channel to 13 and set all my WIFI to channel 11 went round and rejoined everything, whilst doing this I had a thought, what order should this be done in, do you set up the Ikea plugs first as these can act as repeaters? or leave them to last? I do still have my Smartthings hub running and the Philips hue hub running could these be interfering? Can you turn off the ZigBee on the smartthings as I have nothing connected to it that uses ZigBee. So far all appears OK but we shall see :slight_smile:

Outlets first so they can route yes. Or pair everything and shut the hub down for 20 min (although I’ve heard that does not necessarily work with Xiaomi). Yes you can and should shut off the SmartThings Zigbee Radio if you’re not using it.

Hue will not interfere if your HE is on channel 13. My first HE hub is on channel 13, The second HE hub is on 20. My Hue bridge is on 25. No issues and they are just 6 inches from each other.

There is one other solution. It’s a bit much for some people, and out of the question for others, but it works and it’s very reliable. The Aqara HomeKit Hub. Link it to HE with virtual switches via HomeKit automations. Works fine for Switches, Buttons, the Xiaomi dual relay, Contact sensors and Motion. Temp sensor would be a challenge, and I have not tried the vibration sensor. I was only having recurring issues with the contact sensors, which are solid on the Xiaomi hub.

It is ideal if both the SmartThings and Phillips Hue hubs are operating on different channels than the Hubitat Hub.

I don't know of any way to turn off the SmartThings hub's ZigBee radio, but you can check its chosen ZigBee channel by logging into the SmartThings Groovy IDE, going to the My Hubs tab and then scroll down to the ZigBee section to see the channel.

If by some chance, the SmartThings hub ZigBee channel is also 13, you could try shutting it down, removing the batteries for a minute, and then starting it up again, which may force it to choose a different ZigBee channel when it sees another hub is using that channel. Otherwise, it may be necessary to do a hard reset (one user mentioned it quite a while ago here, but I don't know how much that messes up user settings. I would search the ST forums to be sure.

I don't use a Hue Hub, but I remember reading the channel can be changed via the Hue App.

As @SmartHomePrimer stated, repeaters should be paired first when building a ZigBee mesh. Please also see this Hubitat support page: How to Build a Solid Zigbee Mesh

To change SmartThings hub zigbee channel just email SmartThings support and tell them it is conflicting with your other zigbee devices. They will change your channel.
That is how I changed mine.

2 Likes

I never have ANY issues with my v.2 Iris motion sensors. :blush:

1 Like

I have had a experience I'd like to share with others here, in regards to "keeping them connected".
I specifically changed out a number of my zigbee devices, for the Ikea Tradfri repeater, and control outlet. As well, I also put in a number of the 2018 Samsung ST outlets. I believe that I have a stronger zigbee mesh.
I noticed that a number of my Xiaomi Aqara sensors all stopped reporting at one particular date/time. It was in the last few days, but I'm not sure if it was a

1. hub shutdown
  2. zigbee shutdown
  3. some other event
    that caused those devices (motion detector, leak sensor, temp/humidity sensor) to go "off the mesh".

Anyone know of a particular event that would causes these devices to go "off the mesh"?

I have found ST outlets to be poor repeaters for Xiaomi devices. Since I removed these outlets my mesh has been solid.

That would be the problem, if I were to guess... I mainly use Trafri outlets/repeaters. But when I had the 2018 samsung outlets in my house I had Xiaomi issues. I specifically tried a few after someone said they didn't interfere with their Xiaomi devices - well they did with mine. As soon as I removed them my Xiaomi devices went back to being reliable...

1 Like

I've found the newest/2018 generation to work fine for me--most of my repeaters are either those or the Ikea Trådfri outlets. I don't have a lot of Xiaomi devices anymore, but I had a couple paired through the the new ST outlets that both Hubitat's route info page and my Xbee never showed again, so I couldn't verify where they were actually still routing, but I've never had a Xiaomi device change routes when I was able to check (some have), so I'd guess they didn't. (The Trådfri outlets are also pretty unappealing compared to my other repeaters for most devices that I can see...)

Still only one data point and a questionable one since I quickly lose the ability to verify their route. I wish this didn't happen.

My apologies if my observation was not correct and has caused problems for other people. (Though it would be nice to verify the route info instead of guessing. An Xbee should work, though it doesn't always get my entire network, and Hubitat has had a built-in tool for a while now too. After pairing you could at least use that to see where it's routing--it should be new enough that it still shows. Physical proximity doesn't always predict Zigbee routes.)

No problem, and not interpreted in that way! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I still use mine, but they are at the physical periphery of my zigbee network (monitor washer/dryer). There's only one Aqara sensor close to them, and as you'd predict, it falls off periodically.

I hope the next gen Aqara have power monitoring and a more accessible on/off switch.

No worries and definitely no apology is in order.

I like/use my ST outlets for a separate reason. Their power monitoring is fantastic, and I use them for washer/dryer notifications. And I could care less about the Aqara sensor that is by the laundry area - it's a vibration sensor on the dryer. But power monitoring turned out to be far more reliable anyway.

Sorry if my post was accusatory - wasn't meant to be.

Agreed. We all just report our experiences. No apologies needed from anyone.

In my case I just returned the two 2018 Samsung outlets to the store. No harm done.

3 Likes

OK.
It's off to Ikea I go to replace those 2018 Samsung Zigbee outlets with (the crappy looking) Ikea outlets!

Ikea: Why oh why are they the only ones that make repeaters that work with Xiaomi?
Who knows? It really doesn't matter...

Subjective, but I agree. :smile:

I am hoping once the zigbee 3.0 versions of the Xiaomi devices come out we will be done with this nonsense...

I read somewhere that there's a redesigned Tradfri outlet in the works. I googled, but couldn't find it. In the meanwhile, the Tradfri USB repeaters are far less conspicuous and also work with Aqara devices.

1 Like

@SmartHomePrimer has hypothesized here that there are (based in part on the fact that at least some Ikeas have the current ones on clearance), but I think that's all I've read on the subject. That might be why Google doesn't return anything, either. :slight_smile:

It would definitely be nice if they did!

1 Like