WYZE Camera as motion detect trigger

I'm a bit new to all this... maybe it has already done before...

In my yard I have a number of motion detectors and also four WYZE cameras.

I want to use the motion detection feature of the cameras as input to a Zone motion controller app that will require a minimum number of devices to trigger in a period of time before it turns on my outdoor spotlights.

Using IFTTT, I can get the cameras to turn on a Hubitat virtual switch. However, the zone motion control app wont accept a virtual switch as an input.

If I change the virtual switch to a virtual motion control device, it shows up as an input possibility in the Zone motion control AP but IFTTT no longer shows it as a device that it can turn on.

Is there a different way for the WYZE motion control trigger to be used as an input to a Zone motion control applet ?

There is a HE app that allows you to link or join called “Switch Bindings” that might allow you to link TWO of those virtual switches you’ve made, into a 3rd that could be used by IFTTT.

1 Like

Hi Njanda, I want to go the other way... get IFTTT to send a trigger that appears to Hubitat to be a motion detector. Would that still work somehow? It seems that the Motion detector app can only use motion detectors and virtual motion detectors as inputs. I need IFTTT to somehow trigger a virtual motion detector input it seems. If can trigger a hubitat switch, but the Hubitat zone motion control app wont allow anything other than a "motion detector" (real or virtual) to be used as an input, and IFTTT can not trigger a virtual motion detector occurance it seems

This link might work for you. I have some Wyze Cam using this?

Thanks... I have only been using the Hubitat for a couple of days now... so I will have to absorb that info. I will give it a shot... the comments header looks like it is what I need done.

This code resides on Hubitat and the camera talks directly to the hubitat without the need for IFTTT then, or does it run on another machine all together ?

In IFTTT, you can create a wyze cam trigger and then for the action, you can use webhooks to call a virtual motion sensor via the HE Maker API. I'm not sure if the virtual motion sensor has the ability to reset itself to inactive after a few seconds.

Edit: the downside to this is you'll probably have to use cloud endpoints

1 Like

IFTTT does not seem to have the ability to trigger a virtual motion detector... at least I can not figure out how to make it do it.

I am looking at the "Rule Machine" app right now.... to see if a virtual switch can generate a virtual motion detector signal.

You could use @ogiewon 's excellent Virtual motion with Switch driver.

Might just have to remove the "runIn(3, off)" Line if you don't want it to change to inactive "off" automatically.

You could also use rule machine but you would you need two virtual devices instead of one.

2 Likes

What I would do is just use a combination virtual switch/motion driver. Here is one by @ogiewon: Hubitat/Drivers/virtual-motion-switch.src/virtual-motion-switch.groovy at master · ogiewon/Hubitat · GitHub

With this driver, turning the switch "on" makes the sensor active, while "off" makes it inactive. So you could have IFTTT turn your switch on when Wyze detects motion. Last I checked, Wyze didn't report "inactive" for motion to IFTTT, so you have to guess and automatically turn the switch off sometime (maybe 60 seconds or so later?), which you'd need a rule or custom app to do. Something could also be added to the driver, but that's a bit more work. [EDIT: I didn't see this was already posted above, nor did I check that this switch already automatically turns itself off. You can ignore my comment about needing a Rule but might want to increase this time a bit.)

If you don't want to use a custom driver, you could create a Virtual Motion Sensor device and use a rule to make that active (run a custom command on the virtual sensor--active()) and inactive (inactive()) based on the switch, probably also including an "off" for that switch in the rule. Downside here is you'd have two devices.

Anyway, regardless of which way you do it, you'd then get a motion sensor device you can use with Zone Motion Controllers as normal, some Wyze oddness (last time I checked, at least) excepted--but you are probably already aware of that just from the switch.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I think I have it figured out... the rule machine can be triggered by a virtual switch that IFTTT can trigger (due to a WYZE camera motion detect trigger). In "Actions", select "Mode, Variable, run custom actions". Select "run custom action", select capability of action device as "motion", select whatever you named the virtual motion detector naqme to be, select custom command as "active", [done],[done],[done]

Make sure the virtual motion sensor is set for auto inactive afer 5 seconds.

I havent added the virtual motion sensors to my zone motion controller yet, but I am watching my log and when the camera triggers due to motion sensing, the log sees IFTTT setting the virtual switch being turned on and then almost immediately it sees the virtual motion detector being turned on for 5 seconds.

Tired, going to bed... will add it to my zone motion controller tomorrow and see what kind of a mess I have made.

I have 7 physical motion sensors out there in my yard now, and it is set to turn on the outside spot iights for 2 minutes if any two go off in 1 minute.

I will be adding the motion trigger from 4 Wzye cameras to the 7 existing regular motion sensors tomorrow.

I wish there was a 30 second window setting but it jumps from 10 seconds to 1 minute. I have a huge front yard... couple acres, and a lot of bugs. It takes a bit of time for someone to walk from one sensor to the next... 10 seconds is really too short... but there is a good chance that a bug or stray cat might trigger 2 sensors in a full minute. A 30 second setting would be nice to have in the pulldown.

1 Like

Yes, this app resides on HE. There is no need for IFTTT. But you do need instead to use an app called tinyCam running on an always on tablet or phone. You link your cameras to this app and then tinyCam outputs webhooks to the Hubitat app in order to switch virtual switches to show motion. The benefit of this approach is you can set up motion zones, sensitivity etc as well as object identification (person, face, vehicle, pet). TinyCam also provides a webserver so that you can easily add video feeds from your cameras into the standard HE dashboards as image tiles (but showing live video feeds).

There are simpler ways for motion detection based on other responses in this thread but the approach here provides some additional functionality as explained above, which you might find useful.

I wound up staying up a bit late last night. I hooked up the 4 virtual motion detectors (WYZE camera triggered_ that I constructed to the zone multi controller routing for my outside spotlight.

It worked well.

I need to fine tune the camera motion detect settings on a couple of the cameras as I suspect that my cats were setting them off bit overall, I am happy with the results.

Since it is obvious that the capability to do this is in the Hubitat, it sure would be nice if it was made simpler... that the WYZE camera trigger signal could show up on the motion detector list as an input trigger directly.

It of course would be even better if the WYZE camera trigger could go directly to the HE rather than having to go thru IFTTT. I searched thru this and other forums... it looks like the WYZE cameras are the hot ticket now. Lets face it, they seem to work well and are dirt cheap for what they do.

And... it would be nice if the zone controller app had an intermediate step(s) between 10 seconds and 1 minute for a detection "window". I would really like to try 30 seconds. 20 seconds and 40 seconds might be cool as well.

I am trying to use some of my WYZE cams as a motion trigger. I don't have IFTTT, but I have installed the WyzeHub from the HPM, but it isn't detecting motion. Am i doing something wrong? When i add to action tiles, it gives me the option of motion, but it's not showing any motion detected.

I've done this very thing. I run the Wyze cams through a Camect hub and there is a community app which exposes the cameras as motion zones. And it does this locally, without the need for an Internet connection, which is very Hubitat.