WU api change

found this on the webcore forum ... not sure if folks have seen it already:

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. I think it is pretty ridiculous that in the future they will accept free data from your PWS but charge to access data.

Edit: now that I’ve thought about it more, it’s not so ridiculous...it’s the norm.

2 Likes

still enjoying FB? :wink:

1 Like

If I can no longer access the data I freely give Wunderground, in trade for API Access, then I (and the majority of PWS owners) will no longer provide the data. I will simply write something to use my local data for Hubitat and other bits

5 Likes

I have been uploading the data from my personal weather station (a Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24-Hour Fan-Aspirated Radiation Shield) for the past 12+ years. I have been able to download some of that data thanks to API key. Should that access be rescinded, I would be more than happy to promptly stop all/any uploads to Weather Underground... :angry:

1 Like

Ditto

They monetize our data which I agree to based on access to that data

I loose the access they lose my data and I route around the problem

Seems pretty simple to me...If I can not access my data, then there is no reason for me to upload it to them! Will see how this plays out. Not to long ago they discontinued webcams but ended up bringing them back because of the negative reaction.

1 Like

Has anyone written code for any of the other services?

I’m bummed too, as Personal Weather, one of my favorite Alexa plugins, relies on it. But let’s complain where they’ll see it. The link that @bangali posted is the right place. Here, we should just be talking about the great possibilities that exist within the Hubitat platform to overcome this setback.

3 Likes

I have an Acurite Access hub, it would be great if I could pull the data from that somehow. They say their API is proprietary though.

Take a look here:

http://www.weewx.com/hardware.html

I show a number of acurite devices supported. I use a Davis Vantage Pro2 but outside of the drivers for the station the rest of the app is the same. I get my data from Davis -> WeeWX and then I can do all sorts of things with it. I send data to my own weather site (https://nepaweather.com) every minute for example

It also keeps a sqlLite DB on the raspPi that runs weewx (you can also use Mysql/Maria if you really want to)

1 Like

Oh I complained there too (and a few other public areas they will see) but in parallel I'm looking at an exit strategy because ... well... we need one :frowning:

1 Like

This WU API thing has hit a lot of the HA forums. I just bought a PWS and it was delivered the day WU announced the change. No way I'm giving them data and being charged to get it back. I've been looking at AmbientWeather.net

1 Like

Which PWS did you get? with the weeWX software I send the data to a crap ton of weather aggregators (one less when I drop WU) and keep a copy of my data locally which I will use to detangle my reliance on third parties to serve me the data I serve them :slight_smile:

Thanks! I'm in the same boat with an Acurite bridge. Didn't realize they now supported it. So I should be able to use that with AmbientWeather.net and PWSWeather.com (AERIS Weather). Beats waiting and hoping for Acurite to make a change. I wonder if that will give me access to the AmbientWeather Alexa skill and IFTTT integration? :thinking:

Was installing and configuring it a challenge?

[Edit] weeWX still looks daunting. Just ordered a TL-WR902AC and I think I'll try Meteobridge first.

1 Like

I bought the Ambient Weather WS-2902 Osprey. I got a mount for it but it won't work for me. So I'm waiting to devise or buy another mount or a pole for out in the yard.

honestly - weewx took all of about an hour to get up and running from barebones RaspPi seriously...

Get your Pi setup with a static IP, apache, etc

then here's the hard bits:

wget -qO - WeeWX: GPG Keys | sudo apt-key add -
wget -qO - http://weewx.com/apt/weewx.list | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/weewx.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install weewx

As part of the install you will be asked a bunch of things that are needed for initial configuration ... Latitude/Longitude, type of Weather Station, and other bits ... I have a davis vantage pro2 so my config will be different than yours - but seriously its REALLY straight forward and easy to do :slight_smile:

There are a BUNCH of things you can customize and I threw together a quickie on my blog at someone's request to get some of the basic bits done ... its horribly written atm but I will tweak/edit it when I get some downtime:

1 Like