WTB: Halo Smoke/CO Detector(s)

Anyone willing/wanting to sell their Halo devices? I'm looking for at least 1, and it can be their plus or non plus model.

1 Like

I had so much hope for those devices.. Sad that company didn’t make it

2 Likes

Yeah I know, me too. They were based only a couple hours away from me. I was really hoping that someone would have picked up their tech, devices, manufacturing, and patents to spin these back up. I wish I knew who bought them (if anyone) and if there's something in the works for a new device some day.

1 Like

I like mine so much better than the Nest Protect I originally bought with high hopes of it working well with my home automation... But Nest never opened up all the sensors the Protect had and made their walled garden (then Google did not help matters).

Halo on the other hand... Worked well with the home automation early on and they were very responsive when I asked them questions. I was really bummed when they died off, permanently it seems since nobody has done anything close since.

The thing I would worry about getting any at this point is that they do not have all that long left before they are "expired". Once mine hits that point I will keep it around but as a light-up ring and sensor module...

I read 10 years life span. Mine were made in 2017, all off ebay. Paid between 30-50 bucks each, some used some new.

Saw 1 on ebay for 100 bucks !

The earlier units they shipped should be good til about 2025, I think, with later units expiring maybe 2027-2028. Not necessarily a great value (though that’s subjective of course), but not exactly something to worry about.

No one did... it's completely gone.

Just curious as to why you want to buy any of them now?

1 Like

I had one completely die. No power, nothing, dead as a door nail. I already have 10 that work fine, and I'd prefer not to go with zwave. The other battery powered Zigbee ones I have don't have CO, and are not interconnected, but they're also in areas where I only care about smoke. The one that died is in a bedroom, so I need to stick with code.

1 Like

Pretty good reasons. Smoke detectors last 10 years but carbon monoxide detectors are only 7 so I figured they only had a couple more years left.

Still, they are great little pieces of kit. The ceiling is an excellent (and almost invisible, because people just ignore stuff there for the most part) place to put a bunch of sensors. If it had a motion sensor it would have been the icing on that cake.

2 Likes

They were based near me in an industrial area with other tenants in same building. Drove by after announcement and everything was gone with rental sign out front.

They sounded like one of those "aspiring companies" that you hope will do well, but they were up against some pretty entrenched companies in the space and the newest one had deep pockets. Might have done better if it had been targeted for commercial applications "building health" and such since I see more niche ZigBee products for industrial and commercial monitoring applications.

As for the purchase request by @jsconst... I saw a listing on eBay earlier but when I clicked on it (~$61) it said they were out of stock. Not sure how THAT works...

I threw my last few Halo in the trash a month or so ago. Got tired if holding on to them, and couldn't sell them to anyone (although I sold 6 others).

I got it and the seller was still processing the payment and label. It went that fast. Same thing for the Halo+ that was listed.

Oh man I wish I would have known!

1 Like

HA! That is awesome. I did not even see the Halo+.

Bummer... Like I mentioned I plan on keeping mine around just to convert into a status & sensor device eventually.

Anything RGB becomes either a decoration (holidays or kids rooms) or a status indicator in our house. If I could convince my wife to do some colored lighting for the kitchen or other rooms then I could combine both, but that is a no-go. :grin:

I have 3 -- 2 Halo and 1 Halo+

I'll sell all 3 for $100 plus shipping if interested.

Crap, just got the one on eBay. Very tempting though. I'll have to seriously think about that...

I'll take the halo+

It's a all 3 deal.