Wow, talk about ancient automation

Wow

12 Likes

I had read somewhere that they still use floppy for avionics updates on commercial planes.

They use floppy's to track your bags....

1 Like

There is a lot of test equipment in the USAF that still uses floppies.

1 Like

I thought it was punch cards.

It's crazy to me that Chuck E Cheese isn't utilizing the huge advancements in robotics that have been made.

1 Like

Some years ago I was going thru a bunch of old floppies. Half of them weren't readable anymore. :frowning:

1 Like

A couple of years ago, I sent my entire 1980s-era Apple ][ diskette collection (450 double-sided* 5.25" floppies) to NY for archiving; every single one of them was still readable! Turns out that storing them inside Army ammo boxes was the key. Perfect Faraday cage and airtight containment; the only downside is those steel boxes "burp" whenever the temperature changes, which can be startling, lol.

Made my first fortune selling floppies for $10 apiece(!) to schools in my area. Spent 5 years of my life hauling around a trunk full of 10-packs containing Wabash (best ever!), Verbatim, Memorex and other brands. :slight_smile:

• required a hole punch to notch the flip side
1 Like

Why would a school pay $10 for a floppy disk?

2 Likes

Fair question: These were elite private schools who didn't bargain shop. The market price, however, quickly dropped to $5 per, and later to $1, by which time I had moved on to other things (like building and selling PCs, a far more lucrative endeavor).

1 Like

I meant I’m curious what were they doing with them?

Was this at a time when floppies were still commonly used as installation (or storage) media?

Apple 2 computers were all the rage back then, so my disks were for teachers and students who wanted to save their files in the classroom.

I still have a full box of these on the shelf

2 Likes

I do remember "Don't copy that floppy" :nerd_face: :nerd_face: :nerd_face:

1 Like

I feel like in the right place, those would be worth a surprising amount.

2 Likes

We use them for Geocaching containers.
I have a couple next to my desk in the basement that burp on occasion :flushed::rofl:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.