Wow neato! Animated GIFs as Dashboard backgrounds!

I must be doing something dumb. I put the URL to the animated gif into the dashboard background... and nothing :-). Any ideas?

cannot link to that site, you need to download and host via file manager or somewhere else.

for local file manager you can use

http://YOU_HUB_IP/local/purplemountains.gif

Make sure it’s going to the gif itself not to the page or a shorturl

1 Like

Wow.. Those are nice

2 Likes

I like that they are not too over the top (most anyway). Which is good. After all it should be a "background", and not so distracting it becomes the foreground.

3 Likes

These files come over as .webp

Any tricks to importing these via the HE file manager as GIF files?

right click "save image as..."

Perfect!

I was using iPad (Chrome) which didn't support save-as, so I moved to my PC, saved the gif files, imported them to HE via Settings->File Manager, and finally added the local URL to the dashboard.

The difference was well worth the effort! Thank you!

1 Like

I HIGHLY recommend doing dash edits on a computer, not iPad. However if one were chilling, looing at living stills.....

Long press the image (keep your finger on the image for 2-3 seconds). When the image "pops-out" let go. In the menu that appears choose "Save Image" (if asked "allow" permission, file gets save to Photos). Now go the Hub > Setting > File Manger > Upload > Chose File > Photo Library and you should see the Gif you just saved on top. Enjoy.

1 Like

More of this!!!

@bcopeland Anyway to get animated gifs onto buttons? It would be kind of cool to have a lightbulb animation on a button or a lock unlocking. Sort of limit size so it doesn't over process maybe. Not sure if it would be doable

Cool idea but animated gifs don't use up processor time, it's the browser that does the job of animating it except for upload time of course it it's on the hub.

One other thing that would be nice, is to be able to change the background image via Rule Machine or an app. hmmm. Reflect outside conditions with the image or something?

3 Likes

Good point. I was thinking in terms of load times though I guess once’s cached in the browser it wouldn’t matter. I also like your idea as well

2 Likes

ask and he shall

2 Likes

Neat! Thanks @TechMedX for pointing that out, now does this mean I need to make a dashboard and get me a wall mounted tablet, hmm... I think I'll still wait and see if a wall mounted Echo device will actually hit the streets. I still rather have "automations" instead of a "centralized" command center.

Why not both? Fairly old pic, but we can 'augment' any automation, with button, or voice from one spot in our "open concept" floor plan. 18 dimmers, Echo dot and iPad "control". Done! Not to mention Sonos, MyRadar, and all the other apps this lets us keep up on. Beats looking all over for the iPad!

1 Like

Nice. Does it support phones?

TMK it is local only, unless you host the images somewhere that will let the cloud pull them. Other wise iOS is iOS, browser is a browser, so yes.

Gorgeous!!

1 Like

And yet the dashboard is "blinds" :crazy_face:

1 Like