Wiz bulbs turn on/off/change very very slowly with new RBGW driver

I was using the community Wiz Color driver and the Wiz bulbs would turn on/off instantly. With the new Wiz RGBW driver the bulbs turn on/off one at a time over the span of 10 to 20 seconds. Sometimes they are a bit faster and sometimes slower. Sometimes they turn on in pairs. I've tried automating as a Group or as single bulbs and the result is the same. I've also tried metering/optimization settings in the Group. Activating metering works a bit more consistently.

Sounds like this issue that should be addressed in the next hotfix:

Please try 2.3.3.126, just released.

I just tried out release 127 and the speed is significantly better. However, the bulbs still turn on/off one at a time instead of all at once when they are defined in a Group app - no optimization or metering enabled.

I did have one issue. After I did the upgrade one of the bulbs did not respond. I uninstalled/reinstalled the Wiz app. I tried controlling the bulb from the Device setting but nothing worked. The bulb worked from from the Wiz app and the user installed Hubitat Wiz color device but it would not work from the Hubitat RGBW Wiz device. I also tried power cycling the bulb itself and changing colours but nothing worked. I finally rebooted Hubitat itself and the bulb suddenly changed to the colour I was attempting to change it to. After the Hubitat reboot, the bulb began to work.

I also got the following alert after the reboot which did not include the one bulb that was not responsive before the reboot.

Devices below have unusually high number of events generated in the past hour.
Too many events may degrade hub performance. Please check device settings and reduce reporting frequency if possible.

Device Events

I tried the built in driver with .127 update and I could not get my RGBW bulb to work at all. It worked with .125 all be it very slow but it worked. Uninstalled the app and reinstalled. Remove the device. Blew on it. Nothing. I did not reboot my hub. I just went back to the community driver.

The bulbs just locked up and don't respond at all. One is on and three are off. Rebooted the hub and now 2 of the bulbs can be controlled. Rebooted again and a third light turned on during the reboot. After the second reboot completed, all 4 bulbs can be controlled again.

There is another Wiz related fix in the next build, hopefully it solves the lock up issues listed here.

There is a small built-in delay between sending commands, ~50 ms. I've noticed that not doing it can cause devices to stop responding. How much of a delay are you observing?

That sounds about right. Iā€™m just used to the community edition of the Wiz driver which is simultaneous.

Check out 2.3.3.130, the "can't control device after a while" issue was idenitified and should be resolved.

1 Like

Thank you. That did it! The bulbs no longer freeze. There's still a slight delay per bulb when turning them on/off as a Group that fits in line with the 50ms delay you said was needed to prevent lockup.

1 Like

Unfortunately the excessive logging is back with the 134 release. The bulbs are still very responsive so the logging is not affecting their performance

I've found when this happens the bulb seems to be flipping states quickly back and forth between Scene mode and CT mode. I've worked around it by doing things like using 2705K for Warm White instead of using the Warm White scene preset and the issue went away.

1 Like

But is this a driver issue we need @gopher.ny to look at. Is the driver getting in a loop? or something.

I can certainly replicate it. I have 88 of these bulbs around my house and if I set them all to the Warm White scene, some of them will start generating excessive events. They will start flipping back and forth between CT and Scene color modes at 2700K color temp and generating the events. It seems like it is in a loop where it can't decide at 2700K color temperature if it should be CT 2700K or Warm White Scene color mode. I have also seen some circumstances where I was flipping between RGB and CT color modes and creating excessive events. It's all tied to the logic that handles the color mode it seems.

1 Like

I finally had the chance to run WIreshark on my network and found that these Wiz bulbs are broadcast monsters! They are all advertising themselves on the network with UDP Broadcast packets almost non-stop. Researching this helped me to solve another issue where when my kids come home from school, I would get lag in my MS Teams meetings for work for a little bit. I just figured it was all of them and their devices and was planning to build some QoS rules at some point. Turns out the lag was caused by them turning on the basement can lights (Wiz BR30s - 38 of them) and all of these would cause a momentary broadcast storm on the network that would hose Teams for me. I went ahead and moved all of my IoT devices to a separate SSID and VLAN. I also enabled broadcast storm control and IGMP snooping on that VLAN. My Wiz bulbs have never worked better and the mobile app never has issues pulling up all the bulbs that are on. This does illustrate some of the dangers of devices that tout "No Hub Required". At least with a hub you can use multicast instead of broadcast to advertise the devices on the network.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.