With Prime Day approaching, which Fire tablet for A Dashboard?

Prime Day starts Monday and I'd like to get a couple of Fire Tablets for use as Dashboards.

Fire 7 Tablet for $30, 2 for $50

Fire HD 8 Tablet for $50, 2 for $80

Fire HD 10 for $100, 2 for $180

Which is recommended? I think I'd get the 8" based just on price and form factor. What other considerations should I be aware of?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Hubitat community!

Kind of comes down to a personal choice of size, but if the boss will authorize the 10 inch, Iā€™d go for that one. :grimacing:

I use 10ā€ and think an 8ā€ would be pretty limited real estate.

Go 10ā€. I have a 7ā€ and wish it was bigger.

(I made it easy for the jokes with this post.)

3 Likes

I keep saying that next time it's $100 I'm buying it for my wall. Already ordered a mount.

3 Likes

There ya go! Ask for forgiveness after it's mounted! :grin:

Just curious, for this application where I don't care about how many times the battery has been cycled...why wouldn't you just buy the Fire HD 10 refurbs for $80?

I ended up getting two of the HD 8s.

Gary

I would totally go for the 10 if it wasn't because that one still uses the old Fire OS 5 which is still based on the now ancient Android 4.4... I believe the new 10 with Fire OS 6 (Android 7.1) will be released later this year...

I'm undecided between going for the 8 at this price or waiting for the new 10. A good thing about the 8 is that the XDA gods manage to figure out a way to put LineageOS on this one and it's almost stable, still a couple of wrinkles to iron but they are actively working on it...

Can you not flash them with newer Fire OS?

All I care about is best use of fully kiosk and maybe having Tasker open Tiny cam pro overlay when my cameras detect motion.

Nope, unfortunately OS6 is only supported in the latest generation of the tablets (2018+), you cannot install it on older ones...