Wiring strategy for new home

Don't forget AV wiring, especially if you are planning on putting amps and other boxes away from the TVs. If you are going to be putting TVs and amps/boxes in different locations run 3-4 CAT 6 (maybe 1-2 HDMI OK for shorter runs) and 1-2 fiber via conduit.

1 Like

Ethernet to the doorbells for faster connection and POE power.
I also used the wire to my doors (was installed originally for old traditional alarm system contact sensor) to supply 5 volts to the door locks and contact sensors.
I put two copper contacts at the top of the door and frame so the door only has power when closed (don't need power to the lock with the door open). Then I put a grove in the edge of the door and ran wire down and into the lock. Then covered the grove and wire with a door edge molding. The wire plugs into a ups battery backup in the basement utility room.

I hate changing batteries, removed all batteries and hardwired power to pretty much all devices in my house mostly usb power.

Wish I had a sub panel in the garage always tripping the breaker if I am not careful.

I use a simple string. When I have to "fish" a wire somewhere I pull a piece of twine with the wire. Tie the string at each end and use it if I have to run another wire. Assuming the hole is large enough.

1 Like

Ethernet everywhere. And plan for a central distribution center with a lot of switches, well labeled. Running CAT cable after construction is complete will make you wish you did.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.