Wink refugees on Hubitat, count your blessings... another major long term outage at Wink

Wink has been down for close to 18 hours now. Their website is down, servers are down, and no resolution as of yet. Lots of speculation that they are out of business over on Reddit, although no positive proof of that.

https://status.winkapp.com#btn

Wonder if this is the end, or they will pull a zombie move and revive from the dead?

2 Likes

Looks like they just updated on twitter saying they have no ETA but are working on it.

1 Like
2 Likes

I was a refugee that fled Wink when they announced they wanted to charge me for a platform that hadn't seen any development in ages and whose cloud services were down almost as much as they were up. So I moved to - wait for it - SmartThings. Yeah should have done a bit more research there. My HE arrived Wednesday. I still have a ton of devices on the SmartThings hub but I have HubConnect and WebCoRe running (along with EchoSpeaks, which has been fun) and my rules and pistons are all migrated over, as is my Alexa skill. Thank goodness for both HubConnect and webCoRe. Sure made the conversion a heck of a lot easier.

3 Likes

I suspect, Wink knew this would happen months ago. Moving to a subscription model was simply a way to receive some extra cash before shutting down. Milk your users for any amount of money you can get before shutting down. Hope I am wrong, but I would be surprised if I am.

2 Likes

Thieves.... Wil.i.am should be publicly shamed for this. They took everyone's money who actually stayed with them and this happens and it's not the first time either. Hope they die a horrible death. But I suspect they didn't pay their bills and everything got shut down.

They disabled the ability to comment on the Twitter posts they make lmao

I was going to respond to you over on Reddit, but I am trying not to poke the bear too much. The mods on the Wink subreddit are touchy about this type stuff.

:point_right: :teddy_bear:

Wink is totally ridiculous with this type of event. Going into about hour 20, and they "have identified the issue". LOL. Don't work so fast guys, maybe you need a coffee break or something in between there.

Meanwhile, there have been many occasions where I have received multiple firmware updates and bugfixes from Hubitat in about 20 hours.

2 Likes

So has everyone else. They forgot to pay their August hosting bill!!!

1 Like

Yeah reddit mods are desperately trying to hold it together. Wink is collapsing and everytime I think it's done it sticks around a bit longer and does this sort of thing

2 Likes

That seems excessive for not paying a bill.

3 Likes

Dam, I just googled "wink is down" got like 487 hits. The outages must be built into the platform, and run like clockwork. If having outages is your thing, you gotta do wink

1 Like

If you only knew the history of that company you wouldn't say that.

Lot's of hate for Wink right now.... they took a lot of money from their user base and then this happens. Wink support hasn't be very transparent at all.

1 Like

I have a general sense from being a ST then HE user over the years. Enough to consider myself lucky not to have been a Wink user.

I'm just not that prone to hyperbole.

okie dokie :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am ALMOST done with Wink - last items to go are the Lutron Lights and that’s only because I am awaiting my Lutron Pro Bridge to arrive so I can finally unplug Wink once and for all and stop the $4.99 month fee.

For other Wink refugees - I have found that I was able to remove all my Z-Wave devices cleanly - despite the horrible UI in the Wink App. I found that Wink did a good job walking you through the remove process for each device, but even after the device was successfully removed from the Z-Wave network the App still showed it there until I did an iOS “swipe up” to kill the app and then launched it again. I hope this tip helps you as you remove devices from Wink!

2 Likes

I'm with you kurtstype , I too will have everything off Wink and on Hubitat within couple of weeks. So far, still going through Hubitat learning curve.

2 Likes

Welcome to the group!

I finally received my Lutron Pro Bridge and was able to peel that last layer off Wink, cancelling with them finally!

4 Likes